New Guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

set da hook

Reaction score
Hi, My name is Al and I just joined yesterday. I never had a jon boat but I do have a glassmaster tri hull and a 2007 toon. I don't know if I should get a 14' or 16' boat but I want a 48" floor and high sides. I plan on using only a trolling for power. This looks like a good group to belong to. Thanks, Al :fishing2:

Welcome Aboard! 8)

As far as an electric-only 14' or 16' foot rig, what type and size of water do you normally fish, and how many people are fishing with you? My 16' aluminum rig does well with a 54# foot control tm on the bow and sometimes two people plus minimum gear. I also run a 40# tiller-type tm on the stern. I fish calm waters and if the wind really picks up I head for the ramp.

Hi Guys and Thanks for the welcome. I would be fishing small lakes and rivers. It would be two people, say about 400# or so. I am just getting into fly fishing and some tackle for sunfish. I always take too much stuff and I only end up using a few items I want to keep the boat light. And if I were to drop 30 or so #s that would help too. :lol:

I would think you would like the stability of the 16' more if you are wanting to do fly fishing.. especially with someone else in the boat with you. It's amazing what a few feet longer and a few inches in the floor will do to a boat.

where are you from? I didn't see it in your post

I'm from Wilson, NC about 40 mins east of Raleigh NC and about 1 hr from the Va. state line. Moved to NC in 1985 with the family and love it here. Long Island was nice but not as nice as NC.

Waterwings the other day i looked at a mirrocraft 16' x 63" older boat how stable are these boats since they are not a flat bottom. I fish in protected lakes and i haven't had a round bottom boat in years only wooden ones. Al

right now i am not sure if i should get the mirrocraft or keep looking for a jon. all the jons i see are 14 ft this MC is the only 16 foot one i found. all i would have to do is put a wooden floor in the MC. ANY ADVICE :roll:

Latest posts