Question about tiller style motors on shallow V Hulls & Jons

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodStone

Reaction score
I have been thinking about going with a bigger motor on my 14' Sea King. It's rated for up to a 15 hp outboard. Currently I have a 7.5 hp Chrysler on it (I don't bear any ill will against Chrysler, still prefer Johnson & rude'). I have several leads on obtaining bigger motors. One in particular is a late 60's Evinrude 18 hp that is set up for use with a console. And as some may know, I have been giving serious thought to going the center console route. I noticed amongst many of the mods here on tinBoats that the motor is usually a 10-15 hp tiller type. Now the question: With the weight of the motor, you & the gas tank all in the back of the boat, how do you even start to get some sort of even distribution of weight? I mean, when you "open her up" how do you even see where you're going with the bow stuck way up in the air, especially when boating solo?
Thanks

I run a 40 tiller. My 2 batteries are up front, and my boat is pretty heavy, so it rides fairly level. I just installed my kicker motor, and having an extra 50 pounds, set back 12 inches off the transom does run me slightly bow high, but not bad at all.

Put a good bit of weight forward. Generally, a battery in the bow, along with other heavy stuff will be adequate, leaving your fuel tank in the stern even in these smaller vees.

Latest posts