River Setup?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Any of you guys fish in any "skinny" rivers? I'm thinking about starting to look for me a 12-14ft jon, just not really sure if this is the way I need to go or not. As you know i've recently been musky fishing alot lately, and the prime musky waters anywhere near me are rivers. There is a pretty good lake, but i've got my big boat for that...but I love fishing rivers. My main concern is getting up shoals in the rivers without a jet. I'm not worried about getting up them real fast, just as long as I can get up them without having to man handle the boat all the way up them. Any of you guys fish anything like this?

I'd do a 1442 or 1448 with a mud motor.Mud motor will allow on the fly depth adjustment.If you have a mud motor with a skeg,bottom objects will bounce off.

How come you don't want a jet? That's what they are made for is skinny waters. I have a 1648 with a 50hp yammy jet drive and I can scoot across 4" of water and not have to worry about bottoming out as long as I stay on it.

Seth said:
How come you don't want a jet? That's what they are made for is skinny waters. I have a 1648 with a 50hp yammy jet drive and I can scoot across 4" of water and not have to worry about bottoming out as long as I stay on it.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have one....I just can't afford to spend that kind of money. I'm just looking for enough motor to get me up-river if I need to.

I've got a 1236 with 7.5hp outboard. It's light enough if I do have to drag it over some rocks, it's not that bad.

Here's where I fish. (Mostly around the Bluff City area, it's closest to home.)

river-map.jpg

Andy said:
I've got a 1236 with 7.5hp outboard. It's light enough if I do have to drag it over some rocks, it's not that bad.

Here's where I fish. (Mostly around the Bluff City area, it's closest to home.)

river-map.jpg

Cool, Something like your setup is what i'm kinda leaning towards when I finally come up with the cash. Either a 12ft or 14ft.

BTW, Do you ever fish for/see any musky up there where you fish? I know New River is supposed to be loaded with them.

i go up shallow rivers all the time to get to the smallies in the pools. i just take the trolling motor with me and leave the prop right under the water. i can go threw waters about 7-8" deep with just me and a buddy

Bubba said:
BTW, Do you ever fish for/see any musky up there where you fish? I know New River is supposed to be loaded with them.

Yes, I never really set out to catch just musky, but if I see one, you bet I'm fishing for it... LOL Almost all the one's I have caught have been while bass fishing.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4319

Andy said:
Bubba said:

Yes, I never really set out to catch just musky, but if I see one, you bet I'm fishing for it... LOL Almost all the one's I have caught have been while bass fishing.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4319

Awesome! I'd like to come up and fish that river sometime. Heard of some real monsters coming out of there!

There's been a few nice ones for sure. I do like Loggerhead Mike, raise the OB and use the ..trolling motor, you can go through some pretty shallow water.

Latest posts