Help with first project!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonjon

Reaction score
First off new member here, really enjoy lurking around these boards and I have been persuaded to start a project with an old boat of my dads.

The specs: Fisher flatbottom jon boat : 16 ft long
60 inches wide in the back
48 inches wide in the front
20 inches deep

Question #1 : I want to install a front casting deck but am not sure how wide/deep I need to measure for. I would like to put 2 pedestal seats up front to fish from.

Question #2 : I have read and seen alot of different frames for the casting deck but have not been able to find any detailed pictures or instructions as to where to begin. Would like to do it out of aluminum but it is out of the budget. I have plenty of 90 degree aluminum angle iron pieces amd marine grade wood.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for the frame and give me opnions on the depth of the casting deck I would really appreciate it.

Welcome Aboard! 8) . Are you talking about putting two pedastal seats side-by-side on the front deck for two people to fish at the same time? A lot will depend on how you load the boat, ie., batteries, gear, main motor on transom, or just trolling motors for propulsion. Have you checked out the mod/conversion forum yet? Some fairly good pics there of how members have installed their framing for decks.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Post some pics of your rig when you get the chance, as it helps members provide better tips/advice when they can see the project boat :)