New carpet installation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindenny

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got a new to me alumacraft 1648 with aluminum deck built in. I removed the old carpet and now have all the mess of the left over dirt and glue. I started scrapping it tonight until I couldn't take anymore. This might be a dumb question but what would happen if I didn't get all the old glue off before I start spreading new glue for the new carpet? Would the carpet not stick to the aluminum?

For removing old carpet glue, use an angle grinder, and the twisted Dewalt wire brush from Home Depot that looks like this. A regular one won't cut it. This is your best bet.

wirebrush.jpg

If that doesn't get it off, it ain't coming off, so you shouldn't have a problem, as the new stuff will usually stick to it just fine, and you obviously aren't going to have a problem with the old peeling up.

I have aluminum decks and I was trying to scrape it off with a paint scraper. That was a waste of time. Dad had a wire brush like what bassboy is describing so I started using that on the grinder and went to town. It took the old glue off like nothing.

Latest posts