Automotive Paint Colors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
Ok, before I get made fun of [-X ....... I'm debating on painting the jon the same color as my 4Runner. I need some guidance on the best way to do this.

Is it better to buy automotive paint to do this, or can someone match a marine paint to automotive colors?

I read a mod on a different site who did this. He said he used Dupont Centari automotive paint; a "single stage clear coat paint that can be touched up and waxed".

Anyone have any experience with this?

if you want the exact color of your truck your gonna have to buy a few colors to mix together, and auto paint is not very durable, but mostly because its sprayed on so thin.

thinking in my head though, that would look awsome driving down the road =D>

If the paint will stay on in the water, seems like you could shoot several coats of clear to protect it.

You should be able to get any color matched - so long as you can find a place that has the tints to add to a base color, so that is the factor that will determine what paint you purchase. I suggest contacting the paint manufacturer to see what is what, no matter which brand or type of paint you select.

BTW
auto paint is generally VERY expensive! I would 1st look for other types of paint

I would think auto paint would hold up - as long as you don't leave your boat in the water for long periods of time (I know you don't). O'Reilly's would be a good starting point. It took me a quart to get my 1236 with 3 thin layers... you would probably want a little more than that though. If you spray it on, I don't really think you would need to spray any clear on. Just multiple thin layers of paint should do it.

You can find the color on the door jam of your vehicle (should be able to anyways)

The auto paint advice your getting is true, I went about 4 months of deciding what to get, the guys that really knew what they was talking about and could set me up right was the local contractor paint stores, Sherwinn Williams, Porter paints, places like that, They have to work with all environments if ya think about it, from wet or damp to very hot or humid, so I'd trust their advice. I delayed so long that I burned my self out on the color desire, so I went Camo with a marine bass paint.

I know the color name and the code.

About 15 years ago I worked in a Benjamin Moore paint store and was fairly familiar with mixing paint. My concern is that even within the same brand name paint, we used to shoot a different amount of colorant to achieve the same color in different types of paint. Latex, Oil, Sheen Etc..... Knowing that, I feel like if I brought a code in to a paint store, it would only work if they were using the same base as the auto paint that was used by Toyota at the time. Does that make sense? We could cross reference all of the other company's standard colors, but never heard of someone requesting an automotive match. That said, I could probably order a small amount from the dealer then take it to a paint store who sells marine paint, and if they have the equipment, see how close they could match it.

My paint job does have some flake in it tho, which is part of what makes the color choice appealing. I'll keep looking for an answer and let you guys know what I find out. Thanks for the input!

do it that would be rad! use color matched single stage acrilyic enamel spray on lots of coats

If the paint will stay on in the water, seems like you could shoot several coats of clear to protect it.

absolutely. i hope you do it

i think getting a bottle of touch up from the dealer and taking it to a paint store would be the best idear. the little bottles of touch up paint here (exact color code orderd from gm) are around 12 bucks though, but i think you'd save in the end.

Just got off the phone with the paint store, and here is what I was told.

Single Stage Paint Dupont Centari

Quart = $47
Gallon = $145.90

I was told I would need a hardener sold by the pint, mixed 1 pint/gallon.
Dupont hardener = $68
Generic hardener = $21.98

Whatcha think?