what to do with my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deermaster

Reaction score
most of you have read my white powder corrosion thread, so you know what i am talking about. i removed several rivets from different spots on my boat, and they all show no signs of corrosion. so despite bubbles of white powder under the paint of my boat, the rivets are in good condition. so what would you do? as best as i can tell, there is no pitting under the powder spots, and if my rivets are in good shape, would you go ahead and spend the money to fix up the old boat? is the powdery corrosion something to worry about, or that will cause further issues? thanks for all the help so far, finding this site was great!

Strip it to bare metal. It shouldn't cost very much and it will show you what you have to work with. a picture would be helpful.

is a drill wire brush ok to do that with, or is there a better way?
i also mentioned in my other thread that the rivets were corroded and were easy to break off. the 2 i tested were in the transom, and had been eaten up by the steel on aluminum corrosion, not the "mysterious" white powder. i have tested a couple of rivets in each seem, including the corner seams at the transom, and all are shiny, look nearly new. i just wanted to clear that up, sorry if i confused anyone.

A great product to get it to bare metal is Kleen-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover. https://tinyurl.com/bnqggg
You can find it at Autozone or O'Reilly. The paint came off in sheets to the bare aluminum on my boat.

Latest posts