Lowe 14' flat bottom 6' wide mods needed (COMPLETE) *PICS*

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybereyes

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum and a new Lowe boat owner. As the title states I have a 14' Lowe flat bottom boat that is 6ft wide. As of now its pretty basic. It does have what appears to be a small deck on the front, but I would like to really deck this thing out. I've seen some pics here and there of Jon boats that have had a lot of mods done to them, and seem to even have live wells installed or other storage incorporated into their home made decks. I haven't seemed to be able to find any real details though other than a few pictures. Does anyone have any detailed plans they have used or even some good pics of mods that you have done to your Jon boat so I can get some ideas. I really don't even know where to start. I'm somewhat of a boating novice. So I'm just looking for any help or to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks.

Welcome Aboard! Checkout the link that dalton posted and you'll find lots of mods that will provideideas that you may want to incorporate to your boat modifications. Which model Lowe boat do you have?

Its 14ft by 6!?! I've never heard of one that wide, largest I've heard was a 1448. I'd love to see pics, sounds like a dream!

Hi again, thanks for the replies. Here is a pic of my boat. I put the measuring tape across the top of it at its widest point and it comes out to a little over 71 inches. I'm not sure of the model. The guy I bought it off of was calling it a Lowe Double wide, and its a 1987 model.

Henry Hefner said:
Glad you found the site, we've been waiting for you!

The Lowe website lists their 1448 with a 70" beam.

Ahh, well maybe that is what I have. I haven't noticed anything on the boat that represents any kind of model other than the word Lowes on the side. Thanks for the info.

cybereyes said:
Ahh, well maybe that is what I have. I haven't noticed anything on the boat that represents any kind of model other than the word Lowes on the side. Thanks for the info.

I found it here: Clicky
If you will look on the inside of your transom, upper right, I believe you will find the nameplate that will give you the model, weight limit, maximum horsepower, etc.
Wide boat = stability
The wider the boat, the higher you can build any decks and not tip the boat. That is a great boat to modify. I will enjoy watching your progress.

Well I guess my next step now is to figure out where to start. The very first thing I plan on doing is replacing my transom. It looks like it is getting soft in a couple of areas, and once I spend some time fabricating this boat I will probably plan on keeping it for a long time, so I might as well fix that right now. The next thing I'm going to do is removing everything from inside the boat like the seats and the little bit of flooring that is in it now and start from stratch by painting the boat inside and out, not sure what color, but after that I want to put some flooring with carpet throuhout the entire boat, and then I plan on starting on the deck.

Ultimately I want to add a live well in it complete with aerator pump and a bilge pump as well. I want to also add a few other storage compartments and a guage cluster and switch panel up front to monitor and control battery power. So once I get the transom replaced and the boat painted and floor installed, would it be best to build the deck and just cut the right size holes in it for the storage? Or order that stuff and build around it? How do I install a permanent live well? Am I right in thinking I have to cut a hole in the boat to install the pump? Right now I'm just over whelmed and have all these things I want to do all at once. I went on Cabellas and had about $900 dollars worth of stuff in my basket and then got cold feet wondering if I would be ordering the right stuff. They even have some prefab hatches and storage boxes on there.

Hi Cyber, I'm still a newbie here too, and in the beginning stages of my rebuild. You have stumbled into a wealth of information on the subject of aluminum boat modifications. Take your time and go through the mods sections and learn the tricks of the trade. My advice, so long as you are working with a tight budget like myself, is to get advice from the guys on here about each step of your build. Even if you have a big budget, the guys here have learned the "right" way to do this.

You've got a great boat to work with. You could probably build a dance floor in that thing and be fine. Good luck with the build, and I'll look forward to watching your progress.

As far as a livewell is concerned, see what Russ did, https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6651 . If you want to build it in your boat permanently, be patient! :lol: I'm doing it right now and I'm not drilling any holes. My goal is to have my boat finished by my birthday in a little more than a week, and I'll post pics of mine. I've got everything I need except a couple small things, and I'm getting them tomorrow. I def. wouldn't go buying $900 of stuff from Cabelas unless you're sure that's what you want. I haven't tallied everything on mine, but I'm pretty confident it won't be over $350 plus $250 for the boat and trailer = good deal! I'd scour thru the mods that have been done, and take the good, leave the bad. Here's a link for mine: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5624. Have fun, and when I find a boat like yours, I'm gonna buy it! Awesome boat, I love it, have fun

Sounds good, I will be interested to see how your livewell turns out. I definately want to install one with the pump and all, but didn't know how to go about getting water pumped into it without making a hole in the boat somewhere, which is fine, but I wanted to make sure I was doing it the "right" way first. Most of that 900 dollars in stuff from Cabellas was things like the livewell itself. Like for instance a permanent metal livewell built thin and long specifically for jon boats was 299 dollars by itself. Then you add in the pump kit, electrical guages like battery meters, power switches, marine carpet, prefabbed aluminum hatches, etc, it all adds up. I order so much from Cabellas they send me this big thick hard back book every year lol. It is very impressive actually, and yes I'm talking about a catalog. This is the list of items I was considering.

Anchor Pulley x 2 $15 each Total $30
The Anchor Pulley is a lock and release pulley that sets or releases anchor without the need for leaving your seat. Mounting base length is 2-13/16" x 5-1/4", overall length is 7-1/4".

Aluminum Boat Patch $6.99 (Just in case)
Repairs Leaks in Aluminum Boats. This fusion bondage epoxy will repair and waterproof aluminum boat rivets, minor cracks and small holes without welding. Easy to apply; no solvents or mixing. All you need is a standard torch and fine sandpaper or a wire brush. Instructions included. Large size sticks will handle twice the repairs of other kits.

Boat Registration Letter & Number Kit $12.99 (because I'm painting the boat)
Give your boat a custom look with Coast Guard-regulation letter and number kits. Kit contains 3" regulation numbers and letters in your choice of factory-matched colors. All are made with sun-screen-coated inks and are specially treated to resist fuel, fading and scratches. Each kit includes four sets of letters (A-Z) and four sets of numbers (0-9). There are 144 decals total.

Dry-Stor/Livewells Large size 47"x16"x15 is $189 ( I originally thought two of these for storage, but may can just go with one)
Add a portable livewell or dry-storage box to any sized boat from the smallest two-person bass boat up to a large cabin cruiser. Easily portable, these plastic livewells have molded carrying handles, drink holders and accessory trays for added convenience. Add your own aeration system to keep bait lively and a built-in drain plug lets you empty the contents quickly. A 21" ruler on the lid lets you quickly measure fish for easy catch-and-release fishing.

Moeller® Portable Fuel Tanks $59.99 ( for when I buy a small motor later)
Item Number: IK-012942
MODEL:300 - 9 GALLON

FishmatePro 30" Pro Bass Livewell $299
FishmatePro builds livewells with one clear goal in mind: "Keeping 'em alive". The Pro Bass 30" is Fishmate's most compact livewell and accommodates bass, crappie, panfish, walleye and any other fish with limited length and where the fishing boat has limited installation space. It's built to the same standards as their larger models. This rugged little box would be a great addition to any jon boat, skiff or any other small boat with limited space. Constructed from corrosion-resistant aluminum, it has welded seams for years of fishing. Diamond-style top finish for a rich look.
Dimensions: 30" x 12" x 10" deep.
Capacity: 2.08 cu. ft., 15.6 gallon.

Jon Boat Cover $54.99 (for obvious reasons)
Don't settle for cheap tarps or poor-fitting, oversized boat covers. Get a cover that is specifically built for your Jon Boat. These universal-fit covers are made of 300-denier heavy-duty polyester with an elastic cord in the hemline for a snug fit. Tie-down straps with quick-release buckles are included for even more security in high winds and when trailering. The included storage sack keeps the cover clean and protected when not in use. Five-year warranty. Imported.

Battery Gauges $26.99 ( Nice to have)
Use these battery gauges to monitor your batteries.
Permanent Battery Gauges work with any 12-volt lead-acid battery. Internally lit for day or night use, they are easy to mount and include step-by-step instructions. In-dash single gauge requires 2" to 2-1/16" diameter hole.
Available: Single-Battery Gauge, Two-Battery Gauge, Four-Battery Gauge.

Cabela's Livewell Aerating Kit $66.99 ( to go with the livewell)
Item Number: IJ-012937
This item is in stock.

Marine-Grade Wire - 6-Gauge $1.79 foot and I was planning on 25 feet just in case Total = $37.25
Item Number: IK-015716
MODEL:6 GAUGE BLK PER/FOOT

Premium Bilge/Livewell Hose $1.79 buying 3 Total = $5.37
This hose is designed for critical livewell or bilge applications. Smooth-walled vinyl hose can be connected above or below water line. Smooth design increases water flow and accepts tight bends.
Available: 3/4" Diameter, 1-1/8" Diameter, 1-1/2" Diameter.

T-H Marine Straight Through-Hull Fittings $2.99 ( in case i needed to put a hole in the boat for the livewell.)
These Through-Hull Straight fittings are crafted from high-quality, durable white nylon. Perfect to replace leaking, plugged or slow-flowing fittings – even add a new drain or hook up a livewell.
Available: 3/4", 1-1/8" to 1-1/4", 1-1/2

Carpet and Vinyl Floor Adhesive $22.99 (for the carpet)
This vinyl adhesive is the perfect match to our marine carpets. Simple to apply with a notched trowel, this adhesive is highly recommended by our carpet and vinyl supplier for marine applications. Vinyl adhesive is latex-based and can be cleaned up with water. Per gallon.

Premier Marine Carpet 8 ft size for $44.99
If you want your boat to look as good as it performs, make sure it's outfitted with this top-quality marine carpeting. Made from tough, UV-stabilized, weatherproof polypropylene, it will stand up to years of punishment dished out by rain, sun and spray. And, it's available in a wide range of colors to match any boat's interior.
Sizes: 6-ft. wide, per 3-ft. running length, 8-ft. wide, per 3-ft. running length.

Sure Seal™ Storage Hatch Liners 1 or 2 of these in case I want to make some more storage bins $29.99 each
The vacuum-formed Sure Seal Liners drop into the small or medium hatches to provide dry storage for tackle and gear. Can be permanently mounted or left unattached. Add your own fittings to convert to a livewell or baitwell.

4-Gang Switch Panel $39.99
Built by the leading boat-builder's electronics manufacturer, this top-quality unit features four on/off switches with red indicator bars in the on position. Switches are tagged for navigational lights, anchor lights, bilge pump and aerator pump. In-line fuses provide overload protection. Protected by a splash-proof marine design that is used by most top boat-builders.

Custom Hatch $59.99- $89.99 depending on what size I need. I may could fabricate my own, but the aluminum Im sure would save weight.
These are the same aluminum hatches used by many of the country's top boat builders. Great for building custom livewells, dry storage and putting wasted space to use. Watertight doors have a built-in drain lip with rubber gasket. Constructed of 1/8" aluminum with full-length hinges, these hatches are durable enough to walk on. Designed with room to add carpet for a customized look. Comes with plastic door pull.

Ok so with that so far Im at $1018. I could cut some of that out Im sure, but that was my first guess list I made.

on the livewell, i would go straight thru fimshmatepro.com. you can get a bigger livewell for less. www.fishmatepro.com

stew6371 said:
on the livewell, i would go straight thru fimshmatepro.com. you can get a bigger livewell for less. https://www.fishmatepro.com

Thanks for the find, but it seems they are about the same or more. Not sure on the quality though, they may be better there. Still looking.

The one at Cabellas is called Fishmate pro30 is 30" x 12" x 10" deep 2.08 cu. ft., 15.6 gallon and cost $299. The one at fishmatepro.com listed as Pro Bass - 30" Smooth Top is 30" x 12" x 10" deep, 2.08 cubic feet, 15.6 gallon and cost $305

They both have the exact same description word for word, so I'm thinking they are the same box. The only difference is that the one at fishmatepro looks to have a diamond plate top, but the name of the box is called smooth top. So Im not sure. either way I plan on covering mine with a carpeted lid. It doesn't look like they are cheaper though. They do have a much wider selection to choose from.

I do however like this

Pro Bass Bait and Fish Keeper
$319.00

Its a little bigger at 38 inches long for a little more and the one you may have been looking at was this one.

Pro Bass Tournament Series - 40" Smooth Top
$289.00

Its actually 40 inches long for $289 and has a removeable seperator. This might actually be the one for me because it looks like the other one they are charging you for the diamond plate top yet its still called smooth top. Dont get that one. Anyway, at 40 inches this is actually a bigger box for $10 bucks cheaper.