how is the HIN on your tin boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deermaster

Reaction score
is it engraved on a plate and riveted or screwed on, or is it stamped directly into the transom? weird question, but i have a pre '71 (HIN's were not stamped onto boats before 1971) tin boat with a HIN on the title but not on the boat. i was wondering whether to mount an engraved plate, or stamp it directly into the outside starboard transom. went to gander mtn the other day, looked at a dozen boats, and i can't for the life of me remember how the HIN was done. thanks for any info.

Engraved on a plate welded to the boat in most cases. However, it was stamped into the transom on at least one boat I remember having.

Did your state issue you a new HIN to attach to the boat in some way shape or form?

deermaster said:
is it engraved on a plate and riveted or screwed on, or is it stamped directly into the transom? weird question, but i have a pre '71 (HIN's were not stamped onto boats before 1971) tin boat with a HIN on the title but not on the boat. i was wondering whether to mount an engraved plate, or stamp it directly into the outside starboard transom. went to gander mtn the other day, looked at a dozen boats, and i can't for the life of me remember how the HIN was done. thanks for any info.

Best bet is to contact the titling authority and inquire as to how they would like a replacement number attached. I would personally stamp the numbers in a small alluminum plate and rivet it to the transom (above the waterline).

tornado said:
Mine is stamped right on the transom, no plate.

X2,

quick story, it was painted over from previous owner, when the Sheriff showed up to look at the boat for registering, he told me he'd leave and I should find it as he :wink: so I stamped it called him back and he said its legal and was glad I found it :lol:

Latest posts