Front Deck Support

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy

Reaction score
Have a question for you experts...I have a new Tracker 1436. To limit drilling a lot of holes in my new boat, I riveted alluminium angle iron (rivets every 5 inches)on the front section of the bow and angle iron on the front of the bench seat. I layed 3 2x4's accross the angle iron and will install 3/4 inch decking on top of the 2x4s.
My question is, will the angle iron holding the 2x4s be strong enough with out middle braces under the 2x4's? I am worried that the weight of the deck and me standing on it might pull out the rivets. Are these pretty strong?
Also, do you have to bolt or screw down the deck? I would like to just lay it on top for easy removal and cleaning. My worry would be when going down the highway, bouncing around, and the wind caughting it. I guess its going to be pretty heavy. Just thinking worst case.

8)

Cannot help you with the rivet questions - but as far as the deck, attach it with just a few bolts (maybe even with Wing Nuts so long as you can do this close to the edges) becuase you do not want your deck catching air. No need to make it permanent but it should be secure enough to prevent accidents

Captain Ahab said:
Cannot help you with the rivet questions - but as far as the deck, attach it with just a few bolts (maybe even with Wing Nuts so long as you can do this close to the edges) becuase you do not want your deck catching air. No need to make it permanent but it should be secure enough to prevent accidents

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Sure appreciate your help.

jirwin6985 said:
Hey Guy. 2 questions before anyone here can give a more acurate awnser. What is the thickness of the aluminum angel? And what size rivits are you using. I did the sme thing as you in the same boat boat but i added support underneath as well. But if your using say 1/16th angle and 1/16th rivits for exaple i would say no way it would tearout after awhile. But something like 1.8th angle and 1/4 inch rivits you would probly be fine.
Joe

I used, 3/16 inch rivets and 1/8 inch angle. I was thinking on riveting angle on the bench seat under the existing angle iron so I know it wont come out.

Guy said:
jirwin6985 said:
Hey Guy. 2 questions before anyone here can give a more acurate awnser. What is the thickness of the aluminum angel? And what size rivits are you using. I did the sme thing as you in the same boat boat but i added support underneath as well. But if your using say 1/16th angle and 1/16th rivits for exaple i would say no way it would tearout after awhile. But something like 1.8th angle and 1/4 inch rivits you would probly be fine.
Joe

I used, 3/16 inch rivets and 1/8 inch angle. I was thinking on riveting angle on the bench seat under the existing angle iron so I know it wont come out.

Guy said:
Have a question for you experts...I have a new Tracker 1436. To limit drilling a lot of holes in my new boat, I riveted alluminium angle iron (rivets every 5 inches)on the front section of the bow and angle iron on the front of the bench seat. I layed 3 2x4's accross the angle iron and will install 3/4 inch decking on top of the 2x4s.
My question is, will the angle iron holding the 2x4s be strong enough with out middle braces under the 2x4's? I am worried that the weight of the deck and me standing on it might pull out the rivets. Are these pretty strong?
Also, do you have to bolt or screw down the deck? I would like to just lay it on top for easy removal and cleaning. My worry would be when going down the highway, bouncing around, and the wind caughting it. I guess its going to be pretty heavy. Just thinking worst case.

8)
Guy said:
Guy said:
jirwin6985 said:
Joe

I hate to ask a stupid question, but how do you post pictures?

Guy said:
jirwin6985 said:
Joe

Joe,
I finally figured out how to add pics. Here are a couple of pictures.
https://s391.photobucket.com/albums/oo352/glandry0/

jirwin6985 said:
Yea i still dont know if id trust it. It may hold up for awhile but in the end i think i would tear out. I have the same boat as you maybe my link can give you some ideas.. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3811 I started out with that idea as well as you will see but abandoned it as it wasnt sturdy enough the only difference was my framing was all aluminum. Hope that helps
Joe

Thanks Joe,
Great Job on your boat. It must of cost a fortune for all of that alluminum. I think what I might do is to use 2x2s under the 2x4s at the center.
Thanks again,
Guy

jirwin6985 said:
Thanks and yea it was a bit pricey but mainly cause i bought my aluminum from home depot. If i had bought it from a metal supplier i probly would have cut my cost in half if not more. That would work as well. Russ built his decks like that and his are removable if you check his out it might be just what you are looking for. Good luck
Joe

Thanks Joe,
I bought my alluminum at home depot as well and just went out last night to get some more. What I plan to do is rivet angle under long ways under the angle iron that runs cross ways that supports my 3 2X4s. if this makes sense. I will also run 2x2s under each 2x4 as well in the center. I guess the more you work on it the more you learn.
Guy