treated plywood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daltonmcgill

Reaction score
bo you think i could use treated wood for a deck if it i have carpet on it jw because i have a alot of treated plywood

wildeman said:
Can I ask why treated plywood shouldn't touch aluminum? I was thinking of doing the same....
because treated plywood has cooper in it and cooper dosent mix weel with aluminum

wildeman said:
Can I ask why treated plywood shouldn't touch aluminum? I was thinking of doing the same....

exterior plywood is best... if you really really have to use treated - don't seal it with something like thompsons - but rather paint it with exterior paint stain. It slows down the release of chemcials in the copper. As long as you don't get direct contact with the aluminum, there should be no problem with the treated plywood

I'll stick to one topic and ask the same question sorry about that, So exterior plywood is that the same thing that is on house walls? Or is there a different type of wood than green treated now? I really wasn't planning on spending more than 100 -200 dollars on the mod of the boat. But I do want it to last!

it is, but it's smooth - not particle board. If you go some place like Home Depot or Lowe's, ask for exterior plywood or architectural ply... same stuff. 1 4x8 sheet can be anywhere from $20-30.

What size boat do you have? If I saw it in another post, I missed it.. I did my whole mod on 1236 fairly cheap as well.. so here a few tips..

Measure everything you are going to need, then on a sheet of paper, see the best cut you can get out of a 4x8 sheet.... if you have something left over, you can buy those sheets of ply in a 24"x48" sheet - that way you don't have to buy another full sheet that you don't need.

For carpet - look at lowes and get the rubber backed stuff.. If you look on one of the end isles, you'll see rolls of carpet shrink wrapped- these are the ends of rolls. They don't know how much carpet is there, and most likely you will get more than what they are estimating. I got enough carpet off of a roll to do my whole boat - it cost me $17.

You can get stud 2x4's and stain them and cut them into 2x2's.. $1 for an 8' section is hard to beat. (that's the price for them here anyways)

wildeman said:
Thanks for the info, So the best way to go is angle Iron!

Iron will corrode aluminum very quickly,and cause holes.It's best to use 6061 aluminum angle 1.25x1.25x.125 and stainless steel fastners.

Thanks so much Russ... I appreciate it, I will get some pics up there by next week. They aren't up there yet, I have drill this weekend so I don't know when I'll get them up but soon. My boat is a 14 foot.......... (ya I'll take some pictures I don't know what type or even if the size is right.) I just bought it last year from a guy and started fishing it is real nice for fishing a few small lakes near my house I'll start a new post with the pictures. Thanks for the input the more I think about angle iron (metal) the more it sounds good but I haven't looked at the price so that might be the decider.

wildeman said:
Thanks so much Russ... I appreciate it, I will get some pics up there by next week. They aren't up there yet, I have drill this weekend so I don't know when I'll get them up but soon. My boat is a 14 foot.......... (ya I'll take some pictures I don't know what type or even if the size is right.) I just bought it last year from a guy and started fishing it is real nice for fishing a few small lakes near my house I'll start a new post with the pictures. Thanks for the input the more I think about angle iron (metal) the more it sounds good but I haven't looked at the price so that might be the decider.

I wouldn't use metal angle iron - that stuff is HEAVY! what you really want to use is Aluminum Angle Iron.. it can be costly, but it will last the longest. I used 2x2 (cut down 2x4) for my bracing and supports... I just coated them with deck paint

Latest posts