type of paint on fiberglass boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemical

Reaction score
i have 2 questions about paint on a fiberglass boat!
1. the inside of a 12' dixie jon boat needs to be painted,, it has a rough material, multi color grey,light grey majority its white would like to paint it white, but what kind of paint can i use? waterproof paint? without making a whole in my pants or wallet!
2. the underside of the boat needs to be repainted, its chipping,, , i pressured washed it and its nice and clean and now its ready for painting. can i use the same type of paint for the inside of the boat? or is there a specific type of paint for the underside ?

thanks here are before pics,

Attachments

• 3n33k63l01f913714791j0ad68ae0dadf1eed.jpg
    3n33k63l01f913714791j0ad68ae0dadf1eed.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 3,264
  • 3n53pf3le1271ga14891jf2746798ae9610be.jpg
    3n53pf3le1271ga14891jf2746798ae9610be.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 3,263
i know this is tin boat website, since i have so many tin boats ,, i know someone can help me out here with . type of paint can be use with a fiberglass boat,,

anyone???

thanks

Look on the previous post, 14ft sea nymph build. We just had a conversation with the guy yesterday from pettitpaints. It has the site and the guy who runs the paint shop is very helpful. https://www.pettitpaint.com/

We went to 2 different boat stores yesterday and they were of zero help to us. That is why we ended up searching the NET.

I used interlux brightside on my last project, it was very easy to use and is durable.

thanks guys!! ,, now i know what direction to go!! thanks :lol:
since its a small 12 jon , i think all i need is a quart on brightside!
i was thinking of getting steelflex for the bottom, like battleship grey,,
i plan to flip this boat and sell it for hmm maybe $350 lowest $300..
i really want now is a 12' aluminum Vhull starcraft....

jirwin6985 said:
Honestly on my last fiberglass boat i used exterier latex house paint. Just like yours only it was a gamefisher. Great boat and the paint was cheap and held up for a whole seaon of beaching dragging out of my truck and eveything else. A guy at the ramp told me to use it and if you search online alot of sailboat guys use it as well with great results. Might be worth looking into
Joe

did you use it on the bottom of the boat or the top side of the boat??
Ext. latex paint ,, doesnt latex dont go well with water??

jirwin6985 said:
I did the whole boat. Bottom was blue inside was white. Exterior latex is pretty durable. I mean it is built to stay on your house for years in te rain snow and sun with no problems. Heres a great link i read when i decided to do mine...Check it out
https://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html
Joe

ahhh thank you sooo much,,, i have soo much left over semi-gloss exterior white paint,,that im going to use in the inside of the boat,,,

cool,, its going to be much cheaper for me to paint it,,lol