14' Flat Bottom Jon Boat Sea Nymph Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basshole

Reaction score
Clarkster 2000 and I are completely redoing the entire boat from top to bottom and I wanted to share some things with you that I discovered in the beginning. I will be posting pics of the demo today as well. We have stripped it to the bare trailer and boat and cleaned thoroughly. We did buy some parts for the trailer yesterday but had many problems locating the material to PAINT the boat. So here is the lowdown from Pettit Marine Paints - awesome site. Called customer service and they were extremely helpful. https://www.pettitpaint.com

Steps to Painting an aluminum boat:

1. Clean the boat thoroughly with just a simple wash. Wipe the boat down with either mineral spirits or Pettit 120 Thinner.
2. Rough sand the boat with 120 Grit paper just to scuff the boat a little so that the paint will adhere better.
3. Wipe again with mineral spirits or 120 thinner to get all dust off of the boat
4. Make sure to wear a mask while sanding - ALUMINUM is very dangerous to breathe.
5. If there is any bare aluminum showing is the Pettit 6455-044 primer for the bare spots only. The actual paint will stick to the old paint no problem. This comes in a quart and plastic bottle combo pack.
6. WAIT at least 2-4 hours
7. Use the Pettit Coat EZ POXY paint which comes in about 12 colors to paint the boat. The rep said it would be no problem to roll it on, but have someone come behind you with a china bristle bush and going with the length of the boat, use long finishing strokes as it will make the boat look awesome.
8. For a 14' boat he told me I would need two quarts. Use the site as a bearing for your project and call them for specifics.
9. Let that completely dry and then come back with a light 240 grit sand job to get out all of the imperfections.
10. Make sure to get all of the dust off and repaint and let set for 3-4 days.

Will send pictures when I complete. The paint is reasonable and should cost about 19.95 for the primer combo and 29.95 per quart of the paint, and I need two. So for roughly 80 bucks or so, you can paint the entire boat...PRETTY GOOD.

The Trailer is getting modified and Welded by a close friend and we are going to rhino line it once we sand blast it. We are putting a new winch, wheel up front, hitch and bunks on the trailer as well. should be completed in about 8 days or so. If you need help with this and you live in MD or in close proximity, I can give you my friends name as he does side word and would be happy to assist you.

MORE to COME!!!

You're going to love that paint... same stuff I used. It's very durable and hardens like you wouldn't believe.. hard to scratch, but there are a few rocks have got me

Ok here are the intial picture of the boat so you can compare the final product.

This should be complete by the end of march.

Attachments

• mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 6,195
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6,199
  • mod3.jpg
    mod3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 6,196
  • mod4.jpg
    mod4.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 6,199
looks good man.. you got the right idea for that trailer - you're boat is only as good as what is pulling it!

Nice job with the write up Basshole!! Pics look good. Cant wait to get this thing underway.

For everyone reading this; What we have in mind is to make this thing one big deck. Using custom made hatches from www.rnrd.com
They make cabelas hatches and will custom build to suit. Anyway we want it to be one giant deck with as much storage as possible, lighted compartments, 36 volt main power trolling motor and 12 volt in the front. We will be sure to keep you posted. This site has been very helpful to us so far and heopfully we can share the love a little on our side!!!!

Ok Phase 1 and 1/2 has started. KEY NOTE here:

When evaluating the trailer at laymens glance all looked good. IF YOU ARE BUYING A BOAT WITH A USED TRAILER, have a professional look it over. We thought the trailer was in great shape when in all reality, it was ready to come apart at the seams. The welds were breaking, the coils were ready to break free from the trailer and the while thing really needed a good overhaul.

Thankfully I have a close friend that welds and he is making the trailer solid for me again.

We have redone the bunks as well and they look brand new, trailer pics from start to finish should be on the site at the end of the week. Should look great.

We are starting to sand and paint the boat this week, will have pictures of that as well.

Ok the Trailer should be complete this week. My boy did an amazing job from top to bottom. EVERYTHING IS NEW. Finishing putting in the seals and welding a place for the winch today or tomorrow. The whole trailer he fixed all the welds etc and put the new light bar and lights on and Rhino lined the entire trailer...it looks awesome.

I am attaching picture of the new bunks and boat being sanded and primered. Primer went of very easy, dried fast and very smooth I definitely recommend the primer I used which is the opening reply in this blog.

Bunks and putting jb weld on the boat went well this weekend! The JB weld stuff is amazing. Hardens quickly and sands perfectly. Here are some pics of the progess...

Attachments

• scuff1.jpg
    scuff1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 5,536
  • scuff2.jpg
    scuff2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 5,547
  • scuff3.jpg
    scuff3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 5,553
  • scuff4.jpg
    scuff4.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 5,559
Paint has been added, modification starts this week....pretty pumped on how the paint set up

Attachments

• BB!.jpg
    BB!.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 3,217
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 3,217
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3,218
  • BB4.jpg
    BB4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 3,219
Ok we went and got the final measurements for the trailer and she is a little tight on it so we will have to make a few minor modifications. We cut the seat out today with a plasma cutter... that thing is pretty bad. so the seat came out and the batteries fit in there perfectly and the first coat of paint went on the topside this evening. coming out nicely.

looking good! I love your screen name BASSHOLE! thats good work on the name and the boat

Basshole said:
If you need help with this and you live in MD or in close proximity, I can give you my friends name as he does side word and would be happy to assist you.

Hey, what part of MD do you live in. I need some aluminum weld work on my project. I'm up in Hagersbush.

Basshole- Looks great. Cant wait to see the decking process. I would consider adding the livewell components to the cooler idea. I mentioned this to CC when he told me about the plans for storage/cooler inserts. I think you would like the livewell and especially the pictures of five over five. Remember that boat has 5pound carma.

Cheeseball...I can give you my buddies name, he does amazing work! Give me a call anytime, I live in Fallston. 4109255810

Attachments

• plasma2.jpg
    plasma2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,914

Latest posts