How do I modify front walking deck on a 16' Lowe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flounderking

Reaction score
I just got this boat and I am trying to make the front walking deck two feet longer. I have chosen to us wood but I am having problems with how to support the weight of two people for long periods of time. I have seen some pics where they use 2x2's and some kinda bracket to mount to the ribs. I was wondering how they go about attaching everything to the ribs and what kind of metal brakets are they using. Where could I find these brakets and how many supports shoul I put in? Here is a pic of my boat if you could tell me anything I would greatful!

Attachments

• jvm1000.jpg
    jvm1000.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 428
The brackets you can get at home depot or lowes.. they are just L shaped brackets which you screw directly into the ribs, but not through the outside of the boat.

If 2 people are going to be on the deck, I would use 2x4 as my supports - or aluminum tube.. it will support you better.

Do they sell the brakets in aluminum being in the salt water I dont want to use steel. I should screw them instead of rivits? The supports going accross you say use 2x4's what about the ones going up to the cross supports can those be 2x2's or should I use 2x4 there to?

I would use 2x4 for both... but those brackets are either aluminum or galvanized - you can use rivets or screws... I like screws because they are easier to work with... I can't remember which they are.

Hey how ya doing........... What I did with mine was to use a 2x4 and bolt it to the flat part( in the front ) of the existing deck leaving enough room for your plywood to end up flush with the existing deck( top ) I ran the new deck far enough back to meet the flat part of bottom of boat. Lay 2 2x4 on the new support and connect them to the support where they meet at the end of your New deck, supports can be 2 2x4s stood up and one running across the top then you can lay your plywood down if you need more support then go from there. Hope you can picture what I am saying it worked for me. Screws are better than nails, dont use treated wood, and if you get some cheap aluminum it would be even better.

Flounderking said:
Do they sell the brakets in aluminum being in the salt water I dont want to use steel. I should screw them instead of rivits? The supports going accross you say use 2x4's what about the ones going up to the cross supports can those be 2x2's or should I use 2x4 there to?
The brackets most use are Simpson Strong Tie brackets used for wood framing. They are galvanized and shouldn't be in direct contact with aluminum. If you are using them to connect directly to your boat you need to isolate them from the metal with nylon washers or some type of gasket material.

Use aluminum angle or channel as brackets. Cut it into short sections, and rivet or screw, with stainless self tappers, to the rib. Then, put your board in, and screw to it. 2 inch angle would work just fine, riveted to the rib with 3/16 pop rivets, and screws into your wood. Or, if you can find channel that is just the right thickness for your 2 by 4s, you would be just fine too.

Don't use galvanized, especially in salt water.