36" V 48" Floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

set da hook

Reaction score
Hi, Guys what is the difference in stability between 36 and 48" floor on a 14" jon. I was going to buy a 14" SMOKER CRAFT the other day but I want to stay with a flat bottom boat. It would be used in protected lakes with me and another guy fishing. I can fly fish from a seated position. instead of standing. Thanks in advance, Al

Waterwings, the other day i was looking at a morrocraft 16' with a 63" beam. How good is mirrocraft for stability since its not a flat bottom boat. It's an older boat and a solid one at that. Al

My 1542 is fairly stable, with full height casting decks bow and stern. I have never been in a boat with a 48 inch bottom, but the 42 is a DEFINITE improvement over a 36. I am not sure how much improvement the 48 is over the 42, or if that increase is really needed, as my 1542 is pretty big. 'Bout the only thing it lacks is speed (right around 30 mph) and rough water handling. Neither is going to be found on a flat bottom.

The difference in stability in a 36" and 48" boat is night & day. Go with the 48", it is much more stable and you have a lot more room inside the boat. Plus a 48" boat normally will draft a little less water and have slightly higher sides.
I have a 1440 and it is pretty stable but still not as stable as the 48" boat in the same model. I wish I had gotten the 48 instead.

Latest posts