repairs to an old Jon boat, and HP rating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFern

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and have a question regarding an old jon boat that's been in the family since the early 70s. It's a 10' riveted aluminum boat that I think we purchased at Sears. Anyway my questions are: does anyone know what the max motor rating would likely be for this size boat - measuring around the top edge it's 10' X 3' (really small). I was hoping to use the 8hp motor that I already own, but I think that will be too much for this little boat. However, I still may give it a try and just keep my speed down. Before I use the boat there are a few repairs needed. Can anyone tell me the cheapest, easiest way to add some new wood to the transom. I was thinking of just bolting together two pieces of plywood - sandwiching the aluminum between them. I also have a broken beam support that I was going to remove and try to replace. Is that something I could easily fabricate from a piece of aluminum purchased at a hardware store. Also, I don't know much about rivets so I would prefer to use screws and nylock nuts - is that OK. last question can the hardware be stainless steel, or will that cause a reaction with the aluminum. I'd really prefer a larger boat, but this is what I have to work with. Thanks for any/all help.

Attachments

• broken beam.JPG
    broken beam.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 876
The modern 1036's I found on the internet are rated for 3-5 hp. Ithink you 8 will be too much, if not too heavy.
This is definately a small water boat, no need to over-hp it. I would go with a 3 hp 2 stroke if you can find one.
Cant really help with the repairs, sorry. Just not my area of expertise.

I just sold a boat EXACTLY like that (yes, I can tell from the 4 inch square of boat in the photo.) Mine had the same broken rib, and lacked transom wood. For the transom, just do like you mentioned, put wood on the inside and the outside.

For the rib, it looks as if yours has been welded once, and broke again. Those ribs were no where near strong enough for that boat. What I did was drill all the rivets out, and replace the rib with a more substantial piece of aluminum. I used a piece of 4 inch wide, 3/4 inch lip aluminum channel from a ladder I found on the side of a road. Using the existing holes in the hull, I riveted it to the hull, using standard rivets (not pop rivets). Then, because I didn't want the flanges sticking up, I bent another channel out of some thin aluminum (didn't need strength - just needed to shield sharp edges) and capped the channel with it, attaching with 1/8 inch pop rivets. Or, you could get another piece of the same channel you used for the bottom, and cap it with that, but I didn't want to waste the strong stuff.

Sorry I don't have any pictures.

MacFern said:
Hello, I am new to this site and have a question regarding an old jon boat that's been in the family since the early 70s. It's a 10' riveted aluminum boat that I think we purchased at Sears. Anyway my questions are: does anyone know what the max motor rating would likely be for this size boat - measuring around the top edge it's 10' X 3' (really small). I was hoping to use the 8hp motor that I already own, but I think that will be too much for this little boat. However, I still may give it a try and just keep my speed down. Before I use the boat there are a few repairs needed. Can anyone tell me the cheapest, easiest way to add some new wood to the transom. I was thinking of just bolting together two pieces of plywood - sandwiching the aluminum between them. I also have a broken beam support that I was going to remove and try to replace. Is that something I could easily fabricate from a piece of aluminum purchased at a hardware store. Also, I don't know much about rivets so I would prefer to use screws and nylock nuts - is that OK. last question can the hardware be stainless steel, or will that cause a reaction with the aluminum. I'd really prefer a larger boat, but this is what I have to work with. Thanks for any/all help.

Hello & welcome aboard! :USA1:
I have the exact same boat except mine is a 12' and all I use it for is the realitively shallow river near my house with a 36lbs thrust electric trolling motor. In fact, I rescued mine from my numbskull brother-in-law who tried fixing his with just JB weld #-o . Anywho, what I did was simple yet very effective. All I did was get 3 pieces of 3/4" aluminum angle iron to go across the ribs. I first ground down the top of the "tee pee" of the angle iron, then drilled 4 holes through it using a drill press. I then took the pieces of angle iron placed them over the ribs, went through the pre-drilled holes on the Aluminum angle iron & right through the exsisting ribs & right through the bottom of the boat. I then got 4 stainless steel bolts with OVERSIZED washers & LOCK nuts. I put "marine goop" on the underside of the washers, placed the bolt through them & pushed both up through the hole's & tightened the lock nuts that were sitting on top of the angle iron down TIGHT (not so tight that you warp the washer). After that I got about 3 cans of spray on bed-liner & covered the bottom of the entire boat ESPECIALLY the rivet areas. And....it hasn't leak a drop since. As far as the motor goes, that 8hp is definitely too much even with a new transom. In regards to motors, go with what others here have said-a 3-4 hp. And if you do replace the transom wood, I'd go with a piece of 6" wide x 3/4" thick red oak (varnish it with a UV resistant varnish). It's tougher than hell & equally as tough to break (MUCH better than plywood & worth the few extra $$ imo).Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to get by with the boat and motor I already own, but looks like that's not a safe setup. I have not priced used boats or motors lately, but I would guess I could purchase a used, slightly larger aluminum boat for less than a new 3-5hp motor. I'll start looking for a 12-14ft Jon boat to use with my 8hp motor. I'll still make the repairs suggested and maybe stick a trolling motor on the 10' boat - great for the kids.

MacFern said:
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to get by with the boat and motor I already own, but looks like that's not a safe setup. I have not priced used boats or motors lately, but I would guess I could purchase a used, slightly larger aluminum boat for less than a new 3-5hp motor. I'll start looking for a 12-14ft Jon boat to use with my 8hp motor. I'll still make the repairs suggested and maybe stick a trolling motor on the 10' boat - great for the kids.

You could also consider trading either boat or motor to offset the cost. Sell the 10' to get part of the money for a bigger boat, or sell the 8hp for a newer 3hp and maybe have money left over.

Latest posts