16 foot Traveler

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj97blazer

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been a lurker on here for a while now and just registered and this is my first post. I really love these forums. I'm from NC. I fish alot at Harris Reservoir, Falls Lake and other places around here.

Well on the the boat. It's my brothers but I use it alot. He's a lurker also. lol. It's 16 foot Traveler. When he got it, it already had the front deck, the rear deck, console, livewell and other goodies. I guess it would be considered an aluminum bass boat. It didn't have a fishfinder and a trolling motor on it. He got a trolling motor from our other brother. It's a foot controlled 40lb Motor Guide. No fishfinder yet but it's coming. It has a 35hp Merc on it. He put an on-board charging system on it, which is really handy. I'm helping him work on it to make it better. We're making the deck longer so it goes all the way back to the front of the console and we're putting a big storage area under it, new carpet, I put new LED switches on it and a cigarette lighter. I'm cutting a new dash piece so I can mount all of the switches and what not to because I broke the other one more than it was already broken. As soon as it's done I'll post pics. I've tested all of them and they all work. I put a fuse block on it and got rid of the little crappy fuse holders it had. I also used some new wire and took out about 30 feet of old unused wire that was in the way. I really want to put a radio on it to cut the tension of a no fish day, lol, but my brother doesn't want to. I'm sure if I buy it and put it on, he wont complain, lol. As far as gauges go, I'm thinking about putting 2 voltmeters on it, one for the main battery and one for the trolling motor battery. I'm at least putting one on there. Also maybe a fuel gauge if it's not that big of a pain to do. It has a 5 gallon plastic tank on it with a little floater gauge on the tank. I've seen the floaters you can buy and put in the tank for external gauges. I'm sure it's not that hard. I also want to get a butt seat for the front and he wants to replace all of the seats. The boat's 18 years old and in great shape other than the faded old carpet and seats. I want to get a new steering wheel for it also. Does anyone know if the adapters for cars will work on boats? If not I guess I can just get one from Overtons unless yall know somewhere I can get it for less. Also we moved all the crap off the top of the console like the horn and all of the old mounts for random stuff that other people had put on there. I want to get a new horn button just because it's old and sticks a little. I'm going to put a few cup holders on it. I'm going to make a "glove compartment" for it out of 1.5" or 2" wide, 6"-9" pvc pipe, capped at both ends. I'm going to mount it under the console to keep all of the paperwork safe. I've seen it done on motorcycles. I'm sure there's other things but I can't remember them right now. I'll have some more pictures up later this coming week. I want to have it almost done by Wednesday or Thursday cause I want to go fishing this week. lol.

Also the speedometer isn't working so if someone can help me with that that would be great. I'm not sure what's up with it. There's a white thing attached to the back on the boat and the hose thing for the speedo goes to, but it's broken. I'm guessing that's the Pitot Tube Assembly. Is that all it needs for the speedo to work??? It seems a bit simple. But if that's all it needs, then I'm gonna go get one. But yeah, any help with the speedo, well with anything, is greatly appreciated.

Well that's about it. Sorry this post is so long but I had alot to say, lol.

Later days,
Jamey

Here are some pictures...
The Boat...
WaterBoat.jpg

Me on the boat...
JameyBoat.jpg

My Truck and the boat...
YukonBoat.jpg

WOW - that was some 1st post

I like it!

That little white tube is what makes the speedo work. It is vacuum operated (by the boat moving through the water) so check the entire vacuum line

I suggest AGAINST installing a radio - even the high end units tend to die pretty fast on boats. Take a cheapo boom box and use the ciggy lighter to power it. A few bungee cords and you have a decent sounding radio that is removable. If not adapter - just run two leads from the battery terminals in the back of the radio and wire those to your boat battery 9through a voltage adapter if needed).

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Capt. Ahab...
Thanks for the advice. That's probably what we'll do instead. It's alot less expensive.

Also does anyone know about those Solar Chargers? I'm thinking about getting one so it'll stay charged.

Thanks again,
Jamey

OK. So, I talked with my brother today and we are going to put a radio on the boat. What do yall think about powering it? Should it get it's own battery because it takes so much to power it? And if so, could we charge it with the charging system that's on the boat when we charge the other batteries or just charge it on it's own with a regular deep cycle charger?

Also, he really want's to put a fuel gauge on it. What I'm wondering is can we put a fuel sending unit on a potable gas tank?

Thanks again guys for all of the help

Here are some pictures of the tank he has and the sending unit...

gasstank.jpg
gaslevel.jpg

I agree with the Capt., skip the radio and put that money in on the gas tank or a Fish Finder with a GPS system that indicates the speed. One thing I noticed is that you and your brother may want to invest on a extention to that motor or purchase a long shaft motor. Also, nice boat.

I agree with the cheapo boom box. I have one in my boat and even though it would be nice to have a dedicated unit it works great and no worry about going bad, its just a $10 radio I found in the basement.

BassNBob said:
I agree with the Capt., skip the radio and put that money in on the gas tank or a Fish Finder with a GPS system that indicates the speed. One thing I noticed is that you and your brother may want to invest on a extention to that motor or purchase a long shaft motor. Also, nice boat.

What do you mean by an extension?

Also, does anyone make an aftermarket till and trim unit for a 35hp Mercury? I thought we found one but someone told us that it wouldn't be strong enough to bring the motor up or put it down while the boat's moving. I don't quite understand that but if anyone can help with that, that would be great.

Thanks,
Jamey

You need to talk to a Mercury dealer to find your an extension kit for your Mercury. He can also help with the tilt and trim at the same time. You may be able to find them on ebay.

you can get a grant marine adapter from grant any auto parts store should be ableto order it. I got mine at knects
Model # Application Hub Type
3650-1 Marine Hub to fit 3/4" tapered shaft with keyway. 1-3/4" high. 1
3655-1 Tall Marine Hub to fit 3/4" tapered shaft with keyway. 2-3/4" high. 2
3656-1 Splined Marine Hub to fit standard splined shaft. 2-3/4" high. 3

tilt trim you could do a cmc pt130 or even the smaller pt35 power tilt trim jack plate kind of spendy but so cool i will have atleast one some day
https://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0000925011020a.shtml
s7_014812_renderset_01.jpg

Thanks man. Those CMC Power Tilt & Trim units are the ones that we were told wont pull the motor up when moving. I don't see why not though.

jj97blazer said:
Thanks man. Those CMC Power Tilt & Trim units are the ones that we were told wont pull the motor up when moving. I don't see why not though.
there is a guy on here that has one can't remeber who... maybe he'll chime in

minicuda said:
jj97blazer said:
there is a guy on here that has one can't remeber who... maybe he'll chime in

I think bassboy1 has one on his 15'.

Latest posts