Question about pedestal seat mounting...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing a couple of seat pedestals in my dad's 10 foot jonboat and I was wondering if they were simply screwed into the seat. I was also curious as to whether or not they had any affect-negative or positive- on the balance of the boat.

you can get a mount that could mount on the bench seat i would use carriage bolt from the bottom.
it will change the center of gravity and could make the boat a tad unstable the lower the seating the better imo

Rereading my post I see I goofed a little. What I meant to ask was does the pedestal get screwed directly to the bench seat of the boat. Sorry for the confusion.

screws will not hold you will need to bolt it on the bench use heavy washers under the bench. a backing plate would be better

redbug said:
screws will not hold you will need to bolt it on the bench use heavy washers under the bench. a backing plate would be better

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I do that without removing the bench? As you can probably tell, I'm used to just using those clamp on style mounts!

redbug said:
can you reach under the bench? drill holes to match the pedestal base and bot frm the bottom

No, they're solid benches that go down to the floor on the frontside and backside.

If you have sturdy benches, I simply drilled holes for the pedestal base into the bench, put a 1/2 inch piece of wood all the way across the bench for extra support, used 6 3-4 inch toggle bolts ( they self open and secure underneath of course) to secure the base to the bench tightly and then I added maybe 10 small self tapping screws into the wood and into the bench,bench all the way around the perimiter of wood, to keep wood tight against the bench and then carpeted the bench. Don't forget to waterfroof your wood with some thompsons! The pic included shows the holes drilled before wood is layed on top of bench and plate is secured. you can how the rear seat is already done. I wiegh 275 and never had my seat or post budge! D. 8)

Attachments

• th_seat2installment.jpg
    th_seat2installment.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 589