Trimming carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindenny

Reaction score
I've got my carpet rough cut and getting ready to glue it down. My question is am I better off gluing first and then final trimming or trim it all and then glue it down?

I'm about a week behind you on installing carpet, but to me it seems like you would want to glue, let it dry, then trim.

-- Poolie

How much "final trimming" do you have to do? What I did was over-cut mine just a tad, glued it down, used my wife's wooden rolling pin to work the glue out evenly under the carpet, and then let it dry. I didn't want to trim it before it dried in case it drew-up some while curing. It didn't shrink any so I had a little trimming to do (maybe a 1/4" here and there, but nothing major). Don't be stingy with using sharp razor blades in the utility knife. I changed my blades often to get a good clean cut, and to keep from causing any snags/pulls in the carpet fiber. Here's my carpet job: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=113

Waterwings said:
How much "final trimming" do you have to do? What I did was over-cut mine just a tad, glued it down, used my wife's wooden rolling pin to work the glue out evenly under the carpet, and then let it dry. I didn't want to trim it before it dried in case it drew-up some while curing. It didn't shrink any so I had a little trimming to do (maybe a 1/4" here and there, but nothing major). Don't be stingy with using sharp razor blades in the utility knife. I changed my blades often to get a good clean cut, and to keep from causing any snags/pulls in the carpet fiber. Here's my carpet job: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=113

Wow...That's some of the best carpet job I have seen. Even under your storage box. I only hope miine comes out that good. Great Job! Just have one question, did you carpet your floor and then screw it down? How do you hide the screws?

Guy

Guy said:
Waterwings said:

Wow...That's some of the best carpet job I have seen. Even under your storage box. I only hope miine comes out that good. Great Job! Just have one question, did you carpet your floor and then screw it down? How do you hide the screws?

Guy

I didn't have screws to contend with when I did the carpet. My rig came floored (aluminum) from the factory, and I glued directly to it. To get the carpet to stay formed to the storage box lip after gluing, I used a piece of wood with a few c-clamps attached to it overnight. Same thing for the carpet that wraps under the storage hatch lip. There are mistakes in the job in a couple of the vertical corners, and I used very narrow strips of carpet to fill them with. :wink:

Latest posts