Rod storage while fishing ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepwater

Reaction score
I have a 14x36 jonboat and have already installed a front and back deck, installed storage boxes, compartment doors, livewell, carpeted, put in a front and back seat and wired all electronics. I really like the way the boat turned out, except when I have someone else fishing with me there's not enough floor space for my rods. Usually I'll just lay the rods across the boat leaving the rod tips hanging over the side but one of the lakes we fish has a lot of standing timber in it and I don't want any thing hanging over the side to get caught on a limb. While fishing the timber I have been laying the rods on the sides of the front deck and this wood be ok if I only took 2 or 3 rods but with TM foot control and the seat on the font deck there's not much standing room left when you have several rods on your left and right. I know some will say don't take as many rods but I hate retying just to throw a different lure. I don't want to try to install a rod box under the floor due to not having any more carpet or plywood not to mention reconfiguring the storage boxes and doors. I've thouhgt about buying some vertical rod holders but this would be a last resort, I don't really want rods standing straight up out of the boat either. So if any of you other jonboaters have any suggestions I would like to hear them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Deepwater

:WELCOME:

I have the same problem in my 1448. There is usually 8 rods between two of us fishing. If you go vertical, they get in the way casting. Someone on Tinboats should have a creative idea.

How about this! :lol:
pocket-fisherman.jpg

first welcome to the site!!!!!
you don't want them hanging over the sides
or laying on the deck, or in vertical storage
and adding under the deck storage is out..
the way i see it is your only option is leave a few rods home and retie..

Seriously now, if you need several rods there is just not that much room in a 14 ft boat. i lay mine along the side resting on my two decks and bungee them to the oar lock. I carry 5-10 rods with me each trip depending on how many people are in my boat. Welcome to the site and sorry for starting you off with sarcasm. :oops:

Welcome

i think your only option is to stand those rods up - you can work aroudn them and it offers the best protection

Thanks for the welcomes and the quick response. I'm thinking of trying to make a rod holder that will allow me to store the rods on the front deck but the the rods would be stacked on top of each other 2 rows wide and 2 rows high. Maybe take some 1"1/2 pvc pipe pieces around 3" long, connect 2 pieces together side by side and then 2 on top of those so you wood have a total of 4 1"1/2 holes to slide the handle of the rods through and make a set to hold the rod tips at the front. This way you could store 8 rods on the front deck 4 on one side 4 on the other but you would not not have 8 rods lined out across the whole deck and I'm thinking that the top rod shouldn't be more the 6" above the floor and wouldn't be in the way too much. Just need to figure out how to connect the pieces of pipe together securely and far enough apart that the rods will not tangle. What you guys think?

I too i am begining to wonder what I am going to do with my rods when I am done with my mod. I would be interested in seeing your rod holders when you are done with them. Make sure and post some pictures when you get them done.

I built a shelf that holds my GPS and DF. It doubles as a nice place to lay my rods. You will need to excuse my boat, I just got back from a two day tournament.

Attachments

• 2009_0223boat0001.JPG
    2009_0223boat0001.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 5,155
  • 2009_0223boat0003.JPG
    2009_0223boat0003.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 5,158
  • 2009_0223boat0004.JPG
    2009_0223boat0004.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 5,157
  • 2009_0223boat0002.JPG
    2009_0223boat0002.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 5,160
Looks good Specknreds.

Im sorry to get off topic, but how do you like that fish finder? That is the same one i have, it came with my boat and i havent had a chance to hook it up. I hear it is not very good, and that it is only useful for showing depth, water temp, and contour and has no real fish finding capabilities. Would you agree with that?

ilinimud said:
Looks good Specknreds.

Im sorry to get off topic, but how do you like that fish finder? That is the same one i have, it came with my boat and i havent had a chance to hook it up. I hear it is not very good, and that it is only useful for showing depth, water temp, and contour and has no real fish finding capabilities. Would you agree with that?

I would strongly disagree with them. Yes, it a bottom line, but this winter it has proved to be priceless. The Specks hunt out 10'-13' canals when the water temp gets below 55 degrees. The particular canal I like is over 20 miles long. I would run the canal watching the DF. I proved countless times that when it showed fish we were catching them and when it didn't we weren't. I had to play with it a while before it worked (or tuned) on my boat. The "Marsh Master" (my boat) sees some serious abuse and thats why I went with a cheaper DF. I have managed to tear up several so I refuse to spend a lot of money for this boat. I'm glad I did, in my opinion for the money you can't beat it. It's no SI-Tex like I have on my offshore boat, but I have no complaints about them.

I noticed something yesterday at the boating store. The Eagle Cuda fishfinders and some Lowrance fishfinders look alot a like.

Here's some pictures...

EagleLowrance.jpg

jj97blazer said:
I noticed something yesterday at the boating store. The Eagle Cuda fishfinders and some Lowrance fishfinders look alot a like.

You're right. Lowrance and Eagle are the same manufacturer. Like Lexus and Toyota.

I have seen guys mount them vertically in the middle of the boat. I have also seen guys make a spot along the side to lay them out. There are pros and cons to each. I personally lay mine out along either side of the deck and somewhat behind me. If there are two of us, I have mine on one side facing back, and give the guy/gal in the back the other side with their rods facing me. Obviously if there is a third person, I limit the number of rods and we all just rety alot. I personally couldn't stand having a wall of vertical rods. It would just be in my way even if it wasn't, if that makes any sense :D.

If you wouldn't mind them vertical, I remember someone on here or another board making this real nifty console of sorts using a milk crate or two and pvc pipe. I will see if I can dig up the pictures.

I couldn't find it but this gives the essence:
40308-003.jpg

or

crate_6.jpg

Thanks for the ideas I think I've got something figured out I'll try to post some pics when I get it done.

Latest posts