New Boat Question (sorry its long)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BensalemAngler

Reaction score
Hello

I have a couple of newbie boat questions. I am going to purchase a 10' to 16' Jon Boat, Semi V, or Deep V alumiun boat, one without casting deck or live wells for that matter. Pretty much a hull of a boat in the next 4 months. I do not have loads of money for this purchase, so an electric motor is what I will be using. Most likely on both the front and the back.

Now keep in mind I have done my reading in many different sites but I feel this is the best site to post my questions. Sorry if they are elementry and all.

With an electric motor I will be boating and fishing Levittown Lake, Core Creek Park, Falls Township Park, and Lake Galena. I would like to do the Delaware but the boats I am thinking about and not having a gas motor limits me. But I guess at least I am on the water.

The boat will be used for fishing, mainly weekend fishing for 2 adults and one child.

Question 1:

If you were me, what type of boat would you buy and what manuafacturer would you use? Even the name of the boat. would help.

Question 2:

Riveted or Welded?

Question 3:

Best electric motor to get both front and back, and what thrust?

Question 4:

Can I eventually add a casting deck and other cool stuff and the boat still be safe?

Question 5:

OK I bought the boat, it just was delivered now what?

I am so sorry to all the questions but if you have any answers to any questions and ones that I am not thinking of PLEASE let me know.

Thank you all in Advance

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining?

Before some chime in and answer you, will you be towing this boat or will you be throwing it in the back of a pickup? Im assuming you are going to trailer it.

first welcome to the site.
I have fished those lakes and have caught a lot of fish in them.
the first thing to think of is how long will you have THIS boat?

I would go with the longer boat it will give you more choices to answer your other questions.
A semi Jon boat will give stable fishing platform and again leave room for mods.
https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=2281
I'm a motor guide guy so that would be my choice but minnkota makes a nice motor. for the back of the boat I would suggest getting a 24volt motor in a 16' boat you will be able to store the 2 batteries and it will give you more time on the water
https://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=125,59654&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
with the larger motor in the back you can go with a smaller 12 volt motor up front.

good luck I hope this helps if you buy a used boat be sure to check for leaks ..

Wayne

Thanks redbug!

Also the next 4 months in my opinion are the best time to buy a used boat/package. Check you local craigslist and want ads. Hit your local marinas.

Thanks so much Redbug and Jim. That is just what I am looking for. I most likely will have this boat for a while b/c of storage problems and other stuff.

Thanks again

Very cool questions - I think Redbug and Jim have it answered.

I fish Galena all the time w/ Gamefisher in fact we are gonna try today.

Good luck with the boat and all

esquired said:
Very cool questions - I think Redbug and Jim have it answered.

I fish Galena all the time w/ Gamefisher in fact we are gonna try today.

Good luck with the boat and all
sorry to sidetrack but how big a gamefisher? I saw a 12' recently for cheap, is that too small to stand up in?

AaAngler, welcome.

The others here gave you good advice, but I will reinforce that I don't think 12' is enough room for 3 people and gear. I would go 16'. 12' is also not ideal for adding a deck to, however I did. For trolling motor, get the most powerful you can afford/have enough room for batteries for.

Nikk, standing up in mine requires some balance, and if two people stand up in it, it gets tippy.

Attachments

• boatseat2.jpg
    boatseat2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3,012
For elec, and small outboards, personally I would choose a mod vee, like the tracker shown above. 14 ought to be enough, but 15 wouldn't hurt. Trackers tend to be heavy for their size, but grumman, alumacraft, and a couple other companies make, or have made good ones that are lighter. Don't be afraid of going riveted. Definitely buy used. Definitely trailer it - throwing any boat, aside from canoe/kayak in a truck is a PITA. I would start with a good 24 volt transom mount, then buy a bow mount, prolly 55 pound, then a good small outboard. If you are fishing smaller water, a regular jon would work, but if you are going to be in big water, a mod vee, or even a vee is better. I fish out of a 12 foot semi vee, in lake allatoona, which is a rather large reservoir, with lots of pleasure boaters. 12 feet is a little cramped, but can take the water just fine, and I can stand up, so long as I am on the bottom deck, and not on top of the seats. If it were a flat bottom, I would have trouble with the rough water. As I said, the vee, or mod vee, will take rough water with ease. The flatbottom is better for smaller water.

Rereading your first post, you said it is small water, so either of the three would suit you fine. In all of them, you can later update, and add all the fancy livewells, electronics, casting decks and all that large bass boats have, but 14 feet is probably about the smallest that that kinda thing is real practical.
good luck/

OK so this is what I have come up with.

Boat:

2007 TRACKER Topper™ 1436 Riveted Jon

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=2264

Trolling Motor:

Minn Kota Endura 55 Trolling Motor, 36-in Shaft

https://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2004467&cp=711582&filter=yes&fCat=711582&fpricesort=priceAscending&parentPage=family

For the rear, bow motor will come later. For a grand price of
$1903.52 (with sales tax, no battery or charger)

Sorry if these post are annoying I just want to make sure I do not screw up on what I should get or not get.

Any thoughts?

is that a typo because at about $700.00 for the boat and $300.00 for the TM you're looking at a $900.00 trailer then :shock:

*? to the experienced:
could you add a casting deck to a 1436?

Cool even better. Now can get a Bow TM too.

I just went with the trailer from Tracker, did not realize I could buy one from somewhere else and the boat would fit.

Thanks for the heads up

the 14' lenght will be a tight fit for 3 people remember when your little on grows up you might be better off getting the 15' boat. a little more room is always a good thing..

also you can avoid all taxes on your motor if yu buy in delaware or find a sight that offers free shpping

Wayne

Latest posts