XPress HDF16PF Re-Design

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmani

Reaction score
Hello All. New to this forum. Have been lurking on it for quite some time. I am in the process of re-doing this boat. It is basically setup as a panfish boat, but i really need storage as well as i need to get a front deck as i mostly bass fish. There is a livewell in the middle of the boat. I have 2 images of the boat. 1st image is the current setup and the 2nd is the proposed setup. Please note in the 2nd image, the red lines indicate a 2x2 or 2/4. I don't know what the best layout would be, but i would like four hatches for storage. I would be open to 3, with one being in the main deck and 2 on the side. What's the best practice on a wood deck such as how big can i go on the hatches as well as how far can i go on a 2x4, etc. Any assistance would be great.

Attachments

• xpress boat d2.jpg
    xpress boat d2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 432
Hi and welcome to the site.
Looks like you have a nice boat there.
My eyes are having trouble reading your measurements but the hatches don't seem to be to big and the span you have to go across isn't that wide.There would be pieces going to the floor of the boat as well ,for support.
I'm sure others will chime in with there thoughts.

Thanks Zum,
Right now, i am just generalizing the layout. I did not want to go to big on my hatches to sacrifice stability. I a debating on going larger though.
I am trying to think through all cross members as well as botton support. More than likely, on the botton support it will hit the typical 8 points of support.
Just trying to see if i should have the hatches touch the edges of the front deck or center.

I love these xpress bass boats. THe "coast guard" front on these boats really do well.
I downsized from a large glass boat to this boat when the gas prices 1st went up 2 springs ago.
I do fish tournaments out of this boat and do pretty good, but i need storage. Nothing fancy, just a place to keep gear. I am also going to build a homemade plano storage system as well as under hatch storage for spinnerbaits, bags of soft plastics, etc. I had this idea where you could take a 2 inch PVC pipe and cut it in half long ways. Then screw the uncut side to the hatch, drill 2 holes in the PVC for each bait and get a wire clip/swivel and connect. Then just connect your spinner bait. They also make those large clips for hanging things in drop down ceilings.

ideas are welcome.

still looking for some assistance. What would be the maximum hatch/lid size i could create and not sacrifice support on a wood deck i am building for my xpress bass boat.? I am doing wood 2/4.

thanks.

How big do you want to go?
You could build it numerous ways, all depends on the size you want. I know that sounds like a non answer, however let me elaborate.

Say you want a 24" x36" hatch. That's a big hole and will require some reinforcement for the center. If you use 3/4" plywood you may need one or two 1x2" ribs that span the 24" dimension. the weight in the center will be carried to the outer edges and the outer edges will be supported by the frame around the perimeter. If you go with 1/2" plywood then you may need three to five 1x2 ribs.

I built my mother-in-law a cellar door 20 something years ago. The access to her cellar is outside and exposed to the elements. People will have to stand on it, it will have to hold snow, etc. I made the door/hatch out of 3/4" 4x8 sheet of pressure treated plywood and 1"x2". I built a box frame out of 1x2 on the bottom and run 2 cross braces within the box. The braces made an x. That door is as solid today as the day I built it. It's not so much the size as it is how well you construct the hatch lid. I'll try to get a picture of the cellar door today.

Latest posts