What screws to use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoody

Reaction score
I have finally found time to complete my mod, I will post photos of the progress. I am using 2x2's and simpson strong ties, I purchased ZINC plated self drilling screws, before I use them will they have an effect on the aluminum? such as corrosion? if so what kind do I need to get?

I just thought about this after I purchased at Home Depot, I can return them if need be, just being careful as I know the effects of PT lumber in a aluminum boat.

Thanks

Are you planing on tapping into the aluminum boat? If so - you want to use Stainless Steel bolts - not sheet metal type screws

Remember, under the zinc plating is steel - which will react with alumni

I will be screwing the simpson strong tie into the ribs on the boat, like PBW and baptistpreach did with their mods. They used screws, not bolts. I did not see any stainless self tapping screws??

Captain Ahab said:

By the end of the evening, there were a couple of those guys at my last class reunion. :lol:

When you screw those self tappers into the boat, that zinc coating is going to come off of the threads. That's where your corrosion will start.

There are stainless ones out there. You may have to search for them. https://www.stainless-fasteners.com/sdapplications.htm

https://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-Hex-Head-Self-Tapping-Screw-14x1-100pk_W0QQitemZ180330661956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180330661956&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I was bumming around in the local Lowe's last night and discovered that they have quit carrying ss hardware of any type. I'm glad that I bought plenty last year when they were still carrying it.

You will need stainless steel screws,especially in the bottom where they will get wet.look in the phone book for a local tool company or nut and bolt dealer.

Captain Ahab said:
Zinc actually is more reactive to aluminum than steel is. May want to rethink the Simpson strong ties as well, as they are galvanized, and galvanization is a form of zinc coating, that due to the electroplating or hot dipping process, is even more reactive than the zinc on bolts. Now, it isn't going to just eat the boat up, but there will be noticable corrosion around those areas in a few years.

Here is my suggestion. Use aluminum angle or channel instead of the strong ties. If you can find the right channel that the wood you are using will nestle in, you are real good off. Otherwise, angle will suffice. Just cut it into 1.5 inch lengths, and either attach with stainless self tappers, or better yet (IMHO) 3/16 pop rivets. You can get a quality pop riveter for 15 bucks, and 3/16 rivets are 5.50 for a box of 50. Stainless screws start to get pricey real quick, and they are a little tougher to work with, as the heads are not very strong (strip real easily) and you have to have clearance for the drill to install them.

Both stainless screws and pop rivets should be available at your local big box stores, or hardware stores. Locally, Home Depot has a better selection of pop rivets, but Lowes has better supply of stainless fasteners. Both have a selection of both, but it is better at one vs. the other.

Bassboy, I know the aluminum angle is the best option and used it in a boat I had before, however times are a bit tough right now and I have like 20 untreated 2x2's left over from a construction project, I only plan to keep this boat maybe 2 more seasons and sell in favor of a carolina skiff. I want to keep the funds under control and not really using a lot of wood, plans were to put elevated decks in it for bass fishing, however I have really gotten into catfishing, so the elevated decks will not serve my purpose, long story short, can I just place something between the strong tie and the rib in the boat? like a piece of vinyl?

speaking of vinyl, has anyone used the vinyl boat flooring in place of carpet? will that protect the plywood better?? basspro sells both carpet and vinyl boat flooring in all available colors

Thanks!

Quackrstackr said:
Captain Ahab said:
I was bumming around in the local Lowe's last night and discovered that they have quit carrying ss hardware of any type...

Dang, I better checkout our Lowe's and see if they've discontinued their SS stuff. If so, there's a Fastenal store a mile up the road from me, which I pass going to Lowe's. I've never stopped in the fastenal store, but did pull this up on-line. They carry SS stuff! 8)

https://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

smoody said:
Bassboy, I know the aluminum angle is the best option and used it in a boat I had before, however times are a bit tough right now and I have like 20 untreated 2x2's left over from a construction project,
I phrased that wrong. I didn't imply using angle for the whole structure. I just meant use the aluminum for the brackets, in place of the Simpson strong ties. Since you wouldn't need but 2 or so feet of that, it would probably be cheaper than the Simpson strong ties.

Waterwings said:
Dang, I better checkout our Lowe's and see if they've discontinued their SS stuff. If so, there's a Fastenal store a mile up the road from me, which I pass going to Lowe's. I've never stopped in the fastenal store, but did pull this up on-line. They carry SS stuff! 8)

I have a Fastenal here as well but often it is hard to get the hardware you need in small quantities there. You need 8 or 10 and all they will sell you is a bulk pack of 100+. I ran into that last year when I was mounting the electronics on my boat. I went there first.

Quackrstackr said:
Waterwings said:

I have a Fastenal here as well but often it is hard to get the hardware you need in small quantities there. You need 8 or 10 and all they will sell you is a bulk pack of 100+. I ran into that last year when I was mounting the electronics on my boat. I went there first.

Thanks for the tip about the bulk. Don't think I'll ever need 100+ SS screws, 'cause if I do, something has gone terribly wrong
:shock:

I don't think that is the hard and fast rule but it was the case for the size/length that I needed last year.

Hanr3 said:
I prefer ACE Hardware or Farm & Fleet for only a couple pieces.

We don't have a Ace hardware in town, but do have a True Value. It's an older store and hard to find stuff, as it doesn't seem to be organized well. I think I've only been in there two times in the 13 yrs we've lived here.