1974 14' Sears Semi Vee

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripwirenh

Reaction score
Alright, I posted som pics already under "boat talk", but here are some more. This is the beginning. I cleaned her out and will be working on patching the holes and building up the transom. Russ010 recommended Evercoat Aluminox Putty, which looks like my best option to repair the holes other than welding.

Also, I have an 18HP Evinrude though the boat max says 15HP. Does anyone think that will be a big problem? I'm reinforcing the transon with 3/4" ply on the inside and a 2"X12" on the outside.

Boat label says max persons: 520 lbs.
Max weight w/persons, gear, and motor: 720 lbs.
Hopefully it'll be good enough for my mod plans. (using mostly 3/4" ply and 2"X2"s)

Attachments

• P2270002.JPG
    P2270002.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,003
  • P2270005.JPG
    P2270005.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,001
  • P2270006.JPG
    P2270006.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,001
  • P2270007.JPG
    P2270007.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 2,002
  • P2270008.JPG
    P2270008.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,001
i like it! keep the pictures coming, what kinda of mods do you have in mind???

sam

The HP issue; make sure that the corner bracing, where the transom meets the gunwales, is reinforced and there is a knee brace at the center of the transom going to the deck. The wood on the transom should be "Over Done" as well. Make it as big as you can and go as thick as you can go.

That what I did, and my boat flies with a 15hp on a boat rated for 7.5!

Craig

Check the local laws about over powered boats 3hp mite not be a problem from a safety standpoint but the rangers might have an issue

Wayne

some places it is illegal to over power a boat.you can get a hefty fine and they can impound your rig.dealers can also lose their license plus heavy fines.i almost bought a boat a few years back that was over powered.the dealer was shocked that boat he had was overpowered.boat had no plate on it and we checked the book.over powering can cause hull failure.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check with the wisconsin DNR about the overpowered motor. All the HP decals are gone and I wasn't planning on changing them, so hopefully that will help. Tonight I will finish beefing up the transom with a 2 X 12 and 3/4" Ply.

I also thought about putting a thin sheet of aluminum over the wood where the motor attaches. Will this be a decent idea, or will the motor move around easily? Anyway, more pics coming up soon.

My plans for the mod are to enclose behind the back bench for gas tank and misc storage, then put a floor in as deep in the boat as possibe, then possibly put a casting deck in the very front with a cooler and battery storage. All of the decking I'm planning on making removable if I ever want to fish with two other people. I think with all the floors and decks plus 3 adults would be too much weight for the little semi-vee.

Got the transom about done. I will do a little more to it but here are some pics. I think this will support the 18HP just fine.

Anyone think the aluminum sheet over the transon is a good idea? Like I said before, my only concern is that the motor will slide around easier. Thoughts? I bought a thin 1'X1' piece.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,992
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,991
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,992
I can't tell but did you use any sealant around the bolts? the transom looks nice and should be plenty strong.

Wayne

I was gonna ask the same thing about the sealant :) . Have you treated the wood yet with a couple of good coats of water-proofing? Be sure and coat that end grain real good (multiple coats). Good job on the transom! 8)

I know that sliding around can be a problem. Some people punch divots into the metal to "Seat" the motor clamps. Others put a grip strip of some kind.

If the metal is smooth, it probably will slide around.

Haven't done all those things yet (sealant and water seal) , but they are coming soon, too cold up here in WI.

Question::
I got some great exterior paint from Home Depot (Behr Ultra) for $5 a gallon.
Would that seal the wood good enough if I coat it a few times, or should I use water seal first?

This week I will clean up the holes with a wire brush and fine sandpaper, and wait for my Evercoat Aluminox aluminum sealant. Hopefully, once I seal the holes I can find some open water up here to check if she leaks. (most lakes and river access points are ICE!)

I'll try to post some pics once I seal those nasty holes. I heard this aluminox stuff really works. The holes are about 1/4"

I'm moving very slowly, but I had to make sure my new 18hp would work out on my boat before any major mods. Anyway, here's the finished transom, painted and fitted with a small piece of aluminum. I took it out today and will try to get some action pics or video tomorrow. The motor runs great and skips this 14 footer across the lake. Can't wait till all the ice up here is melted, only some channels and rivers are accessible. Here are some finished pics of the transom.

Attachments

• P3190012.JPG
    P3190012.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,754
  • P3190013.JPG
    P3190013.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,755
  • P3190011.JPG
    P3190011.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,753
  • P3190007.JPG
    P3190007.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 1,754
  • P3190002.JPG
    P3190002.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,755
I'd be real hesatant to put aluminum under the motor mount. Aluminum gets pretty slippery when wet. If you want to use it, at least attach a chain to the motor and boat in case the motor does fall off.

tripwirenh said:
Haven't done all those things yet (sealant and water seal) , but they are coming soon, too cold up here in WI.

Question::
I got some great exterior paint from Home Depot (Behr Ultra) for $5 a gallon.
Would that seal the wood good enough if I coat it a few times, or should I use water seal first?

This week I will clean up the holes with a wire brush and fine sandpaper, and wait for my Evercoat Aluminox aluminum sealant. Hopefully, once I seal the holes I can find some open water up here to check if she leaks. (most lakes and river access points are ICE!)

I'll try to post some pics once I seal those nasty holes. I heard this aluminox stuff really works. The holes are about 1/4"

Use fiberglass resin. It will preserve the wood like a mosquito in amber. The wood will never be penetrated if properly covered with fiberglass resin.

Craig

um, from your pics , I don't see a transom brace on the inside. I would install/fab one running that larger motor.

Thanks for all your responses. If you look in the first pic of my finished transom you'll see a small knee brace that is made of the same gauge aluminum as the boat. I think it should be enough because the boat is rated for 15hp and I'm only upsizing by 3hp. Also, the transom I built goes the whole width of the boat which I think will help disperse the weight. Do you guys agree or do I need to reinforce it with extra knee braces??? Again thanks, everyone on this board has helped me tremendously, and I hope I can finish all my mods soon. I'll keep pics coming as I sloooooooowly finish my boat. It looks like most lakes around here are finally open from ice. :D

Latest posts