Pedestal Seat Mounting Options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungClayB

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am planning to mount a pedestal seat base (https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_22453_225008005_225000000_225008000_225-8-5) to the deck of my boat and I was wondering what method I should use to mount it.

Here is a picture of my deck: https://www.southeastforestlands.com/pics/boat%20deck.jpg

There looks to be about 8 inches of foam under the deck. Thanks in advance for your help!

I have some set mount what i did was use hole saw to drill 2" hole center then sq. up and used 1/8" alum. slid between foam and bench seat then used 1" long 5/16 #12 ss screws to screw down as phillips strip out

What he's saying is that he drilled a 2' hole in the bench/deck to allow the seat post lower portion to go into the seat. He squared it up so as to have the base plate sitting square in relation to the sides/front/rear of boat. The he had an additional piece of 1/8" thick aluminum which he used as doubler plate under the deck, and above the foam.

I would remove the foam, put some kind of bracing under your pedestal (alum. angle is what I used, could use plywood) so your skrews don't pull through the deck. Carve your foam to go around the bracing and screws and reinstall. Yours should be easy because you have access to the underside. I didn't and had to cut a porthole.

Here's a quick drawing I made of what I think he is talking about, and as above, removal of some foam will be required if you can get under there:

normal_Pedastal_mount.JPG

Waterwings said:
Here's a quick drawing I made of what I think he is talking about, and as above, removal of some foam will be required if you can get under there:

normal_Pedastal_mount.JPG

This is why WW gets paid the big bucks$$ :lol:

Great Picture WW if you are going to add the backing plate (great Idea ) I would use SS bolts instead of screws get the nylon nuts so they won't back off. They will be much stronger than screws...

Wayne

redbug said:
Great Picture WW if you are going to add the backing plate (great Idea ) I would use SS bolts instead of screws get the nylon nuts so they won't back off. They will be much stronger than screws...

Wayne

Absolutely! My pedastal mounts have screws in them (factory install), which I can get to, and will eventually change to SS screws with large washers and nylock nuts. The dang screws are pointy and sharp as heck! :shock:

I have the identicle seat/post mounts in mine, I used 6 large toggle bolts that self tightened underneath and they have remained super tight. I'm 6' and weigh 285 and these have never moved a millimeter, and I always use my posts to sit up. The pic of my boat is a little blurry, but you can see where I drilled the holes out for the middle bench ( had to scrape out some foam) As you can see in the pic, the rear seat was already done and mounted and carpeted, I also added 1/2 inch of wood across the bench for extra support, then added about 8-10 extra sturdy screws drilled around the perimeter of the wood to keep the wood tight into the bench. The wood was an option for me, you look like you have nice thick decking, so you probably don't need wood. The toggle bolts definitely worked for me bro! D. 8)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 983
  • th_seat2installment.jpg
    th_seat2installment.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 846
The mounts I like are the pin style.They are round and made of a heavy cast aluminum.Here's the link.
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74025_225008005_225000000_225008000_225-8-5

delmonte67 said:
I have the identicle seat/post mounts in mine, I used 6 large toggle bolts that self tightened underneath and they have remained super tight. I'm 6' and weigh 285 and these have never moved a millimeter, and I always use my posts to sit up. The pic of my boat is a little blurry, but you can see where I drilled the holes out for the middle bench ( had to scrape out some foam) As you can see in the pic, the rear seat was already done and mounted and carpeted, I also added 1/2 inch of wood across the bench for extra support, then added about 8-10 extra sturdy screws drilled around the perimeter of the wood to keep the wood tight into the bench. The wood was an option for me, you look like you have nice thick decking, so you probably don't need wood. The toggle bolts definitely worked for me bro! D. 8)

I am thinking about using toggle bolts like you did, but I have a few questions:

1. I assume that you had to drill holes big enough for the folded toggle bolt to fit into? i.e. the holes have to be bigger than the diamter of the bolt itself.

2. Did you have any issues getting the toggle bolt to "bite" on the underside of the aluminum so that it could be secured tight enough?

hey man,
you might try making a backing plate out of plywood or any other material you choose,just make sure the bolt holes match up. drill a hole in the deck (2") or whatever the base of your pedistal is,then mark and drill all of your bolt holes.next,gets some all thread material,nuts,and washers from lowes or wherever and place the backing plate on the underside of the foam. this adds stabililty and is far less trouble than removing the foam. hope this helps.

Yes I did have to drill the holes larger, I pinched/folded the clamps on each side against the main bolt, that gave me my diameter/circumfrence for the holes. Start your holes slightly smaller and carefully work your bit around the perimeter of the hole to cut to size. You want the smallest holes so that your "pinched" toggle bolt just fits in. And I had no problem at all with these biting/grabbing hold underneath- Make it tight as hell! Be sure to dig out any foam if there is any inside, to make room for the toggle bolt to go down into the hole. After you put your bolt through the seat base, and then screw your toggle on the bolt and then get ready to pinch/fold it into the hole, make sure the toggle is screwed on 3-4 spins, you dont want it falling off the end and losing it in the hole. Hope this helps! D. 8)