storage compartment in seat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathunter21

Reaction score
I am new to the sight and this is my first post. I have been looking for a flat jon for about 2 months and thought i had found one when i was ripped off by a craigslist salesmen. :evil: but i have aquired a 1436 mid 70's Ouchita that was my grandpas before he died......FOR FREE :lol: i am currently putting a new coat of paint on it and have ordered a 15 hp fourstroke merc from A.F.A marine. i wanted to know if i could cut the top of the middle seat out, remove the foam and make it into a storage compartment? Or would that affect the buoyancy or stuctural well-being of the boat

Yes you can do that. Check out Russ010's boat. That is what he did. Here is the link.https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4493

welcome to the site

the foam has no affect on the buoyancy of your boat, it just helps it from sinking if swamped..
You should be able to add a storage bin under the seat without any trouble

Wayne

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! :beer:

Nice score on the free boat. =D>

Some will say remove it, others will say do not. That is ultimately the choice you will have to make. The foam is there in case the boat capsizes. Some say it will not make a difference. Other boats like the tracker 1436 have the livewell/storage area in the middle bench. https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3124

How are you planning on putting a cover on the storage compartment if you do do it?

:WELCOME:

Thanks for signing up.

Sure you can cut open the seat.You could use the cut out to make a flush mount lid.Just pop rivet some 1 and 1/4 inch aluminum around the opening for the lid to lay on.Drill or cut a finger hole to use to open the lid.Don't for get to sand the edges.They hurt when they rip into your skin.The foam is debatable.It's there to keep the boat floating at the surface, so it can be bailed out, or towed to shore.Some of us take the risk and remove it, while others leave it and add more.You could add insulating foam under the floor boards or deck to make up for the foam that's been removed.

This is how I did mine. I bought the deck lid from Bass Pro. I put alum. angle around the edges to stiffen the bench so you can stand on it. I took the cut out and made a shelf for my GPS and DF.

Attachments

• laws%20boat%20tb006.jpg
    laws%20boat%20tb006.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 537
Specknreds said:
...I took the cut out and made a shelf for my GPS and DF.

Good use of the cutout!

thumb_thumbs_up_pic.jpg

Latest posts