Pin style Pedestal help when you can't use washers and nuts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baptistpreach

Reaction score
I want my pedestals to be sturdy, and I know the washers and bolts are the best method, but I can't reach down there to do that, what's my best option next? I'm not heavy (175lbs) but my dad.... um.... is.... heavier (260-270) and I want it to be strong enough for him, so what should I do?

I already planned on adding some extra strength by having my 2x2's run where the six holes will be, but am I going to be okay using regular screws since I can't reach the bottom where the bolts would go through?

If it were e 6'5" 300 I would try to find some 1/4" aluminium plate to cover the entire seat that you are going to mount the base on then use toggle bolts to attach that round the edges and also for the seat. You can cover the plate with carpet so it looks clean.
When I added pedestals to my crawdad I found an 8 sided piece that was red with white lettering hanging on a pole that I used to spread out the load instead of just going through the plywood

Hmm... It's be pretty tricky..... I could cut a hole in the aluminum bench bench that would be big enough to put them in. I'd have to undo my 2x2's and then try to use sticky tack to hold them in place whiile I lowered the floor and then the pedestals.... it wouldn't be very easy. And what would hold the T-nuts in place?? I couldn't get below to hold them?

The T-nuts have barbs on the washer face that hold them in place long enough to get the bolt started.

I'm not 100% sure on where you are mounting your pedestals or what you are mounting them to.

toggle_molly.jpg

Preach, I'm going to go with some SS tapered wood screws for my rig. I can't get to mine either. This is why I have doubled up the plywood in the areas of the seat pedestals. I will be able to bolt the forward seat base, but, the four bases I am going to mount to the floor deck, will just have to be 1 1/2" long screws. I figure with 6 solid screws in there, it'll hold just fine. Bolts are prefered, but am limited and I don't want to remove the deck to use T nuts. If the screws do strip somehow, I can turn the seat base slightly and have 6 brand new mounting spots.

Thanks, I guess I was just hoping to hear someone else say that it should be strong enough, I really can't do anything else!
At least not that I can think of

I hope that I am wrong but I do not think wood screws are going to hold for you guys for very long.

Preacher, can you get a picture of the place where you are mounting these seat bases? We may be able to give you a better idea if you could.

wood screws will work as long as you don't move to fish or anything

take your screws and but them on a scrap piece with the pedestals figure some way to attach it in a vert. position and pull down, push up on it and you will see that it will not last.. i would figure a way to do it rite once

my .02 worth

I was thinking of the big bolts that you can screw in, not wood screws. I'll show you where they're going

Attachments

• DSC02422 (Medium) seat support.JPG
    DSC02422 (Medium) seat support.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 861
  • DSC02394 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02394 (Medium).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 861
That's sort of what I was figuring. I still say that T-nuts are your best option.

You just need to drill your holes and install your nuts before you put the decking down.

I ripped the lag bolts (what you are talking about) out of the floor of a charter boat in Florida a few years ago. Ones that they were installing when we got there....

The base had come loose the day before and they thought those would hold until after we were done fishing and they could repair it properly. They were wrong. :lol:

I've got my pedestal mount put down with the longest and widest wood screws I could find to fit the holes of the base... I think they are #14, but I'm not positive. I've also got an extra piece of 3/4" underneath the decking though from where I had my other seat... but you'll be fine with wood screws... One thing you might want to do is to put some Loc Tite on the screw as you are drilling it in... it's helped mine

One thing you might try is putting down a section of aluminum angle iron on the 2x2, then using self-tapping metal lag screws ... that would definitely work for what you are doing

What i did was take two pieces of 3/4 plywood, cut them both to the same size, I think 10" X 12" and then glued them together. That gave me my base. I then routered out the hole where the base went. Then I drilled my six holes and on the oppisite side of my seat base counter sunk the holes, so when i put my bolts and nuts on they were flush with the wood. That gave me a solid base for the seat base, i then made another base on the top of my seat with 3/4 plywood that went across the entire seat. I think you can see what I mean with the pictures below. I then screwed that to the aluminum bench seat and then screwed the pedastal peice to that. It is very solid and I don't think that it will go anywhere. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 861
Big Buck, what did you attach your plywood base to the other piece with? That is now probably your weak spot.

I love seeing the mods that you guys are doing but I wince every time I see one of these things with plain old pine lumber. I'm sure they will last a long time if left inside and all of that carpet never gets wet but I can tell you from years of personal experience that the water will take it's toll.

Let's remember he is asking about his 260lb plus dad the screws that russ and big buck are fine judging by the size of you guys but I don't know about holding a big guy.
God forbid he rears back to set the hook and we find out that the lag bolts won't work it could be nasty.....
I am a safety rep at work so I guess I just more cautious than most.
I also had a pedestal snap at the base in my boat that sent a guy overboard and left him with a 6" gash in his arm..

If you have access to a saws all I would cut an area out of the side of the bench so you can get to the underside and sandwich the seat base with the decking wood and the aluminum from the bench with a bolt with washers and a lock nut. I would have to agree with redbug there is a lot of torque with the pedestal seats. You could take the foam out from the bench and use it for a nice little storage cubby as well.

I weigh 220 and stand 6'2" and there is no way in the world screws or carriage type bolts would hold it in for long with me fishing in it. You have to take into account we are talking about a small boat here that isn't the most stable of platforms. Even on a calm day with a seemingly stable situation there is a lot of small movements and torques on the pedestals. I was fortunate to be able to get to the under the benches for mine, but looking back I would even want a bit more support than the 1/2" plywood and the aluminum from the bench.

buck, what's holding your "base" to the bench seat? I like your idea because it enabled you to use washers and nuts, but, how is that piece attached?? I really appreciate all the comments guys, I'm just not sure what I'll do yet. I could Sawsall into the bench and use the washers and nuts, ... it would be a big fat pain, but I could do it. I'm still not sure, part of me agrees with Russ and the others, and then, well, I'll kick it around a few days, since I cant do anything about it now anyhow! My boat is flipped upside down, and the first coat of lovely glossy black paint is curing!!! I'm so excited, and I'm getting ready to take pics and post them, in the mean time, I'll still mull this over some more. Thanks again!

bAcKpAiN said:
If you have access to a saws all I would cut an area out of the side of the bench so you can get to the underside and sandwich the seat base with the decking wood and the aluminum from the bench with a bolt with washers and a lock nut. I would have to agree with redbug there is a lot of torque with the pedestal seats. You could take the foam out from the bench and use it for a nice little storage cubby as well.

I weigh 220 and stand 6'2" and there is no way in the world screws or carriage type bolts would hold it in for long with me fishing in it. You have to take into account we are talking about a small boat here that isn't the most stable of platforms. Even on a calm day with a seemingly stable situation there is a lot of small movements and torques on the pedestals. I was fortunate to be able to get to the under the benches for mine, but looking back I would even want a bit more support than the 1/2" plywood and the aluminum from the bench.

Ahhh....Good call on cutting a side access. I'm in the process of re-doing a 14' V-bottom and have been trying to figure out this whole bench/plywood/pedestal thing. Not wanting to remove the foam, I planned to attach bolts upward from the bottom of the plywood, through a piece of al. plate, then to the pedestal as the picture shows, but now with cutting an access in the side of the bench, I can insert the al. plate into that with washers/nuts attached and bolt my pedestal down. I can't believe I didn't think of that after staring at the thing for about 5 hours total!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4552.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 308
Unless you have real big arms, a 4 inch hole saw will work great for making your access hole. And, even though it was designed for wood, and isn't carbide, if you go slow with it, it will work just fine. Been doing that for years now, with the same cheapo set. You can core into the foam with the hole saw, and an old bread knife works great for cutting out the last bit of foam up to your base. Trust me, you will want through bolts with fender washers. Make a little aluminum cover plate, and pop rivet it over your hole, or if you are like me, and like to have everything where it can be serviced, attach it with rivnuts or the like, so you can get to it, and tighten the bolts down.

Latest posts