Howdy guys, I'm new here :-)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
.....and since I'm a fishin' fool, who loves his little "tin boat" I figure this might be a pretty suitable place for me to spend a little time :)

I go by 'Fish Chris', or simply 'Fish'. I'm 42 years old and have been fishing for anything that would bite my hook since I was not quite 3. From about 97' until 05' I was almost nothing but a hard-core trophy bass fanatic. I still love to stick big bass, but for the last couple years, I've been getting back to my roots a bit more, and mixing it up with Stripers, Sturgeon, Bat Rays, Leopard Sharks, Halibut, Catfish, etc....

I fished from a 12ft Montgomery Wards Seaking for 10 years, from 95' to 05' (loved that little boat so much, that instead of selling it, "I gave it" to a buddy, under the stipulation that I could use it whenever I wanted to.... and have actually done so a few times, evewn since I have gotten my new boat)

My new boat is my new love :) Yes, I do talk to her and rub on her hull, every time before I take her out on a fishing date ;-)
It is a G3, V143T, with a 25hp 4 stroker (max for the boat) with electric start, and power trim / tilt. Don't want to tell you guys what I paid for it, as it was a sponsorship deal..... so it would just make you sick ;-) Anyway, this was a good thing for me, as I'm a poor guy who fishes too much, and doesn't work enough :)

Oh, and my "secondary passion" is photography. Of course I'm into good fish photos.... But I have actually spent a little time on trips with "only cameras, and no poles" !!! My buddies thought I was losing my mind ! :)

Anyway, I have two fishing websites, and 1 photography site...... but I jumped on here so fast, I didn't even see if posting links was okay here. If so, theirs plenty of time for that later.

In the mean time, here's a few photos of my little baby, and some of the fish I catch from it......

Built, and installed the front deck, and rear floor board myself.
ee9d2da0.jpg

Isn't she purty :)
fbbefd40.jpg

Only 23.2 lbs, but I like the photo....
f2f94fe0.jpg

Been wanting a big Smallie forever... so needless to say, I was pretty stoked with this 8.5 lb'er. Only .6 lbs off of the Cali state record when I caught her...
f7ffe940.jpg

14.40 lbs
facfe940.jpg

15.60 lbs
fd9fe940.jpg

I caught this one last week on a micro-light spinning rod. 71" and aprox 90 to 100 lbs. The battle lasted 2 hrs 10 min :)
104403940.jpg

Hope you enjoy the photos,
Will be back to share more, and to help anyway I can.

Great fishing to you guys,
Fish Chris

Welcome to the site Fish Chris! Hope you stop by often. I've visited your site quite a bit and put some of your tips to use. Good stuff.

That smallie is insane, looks like it swallowed a basketball :shock:

I'll try to post some other photos of the boat, before and after, deck construction, etc, soon.

Right now I have to get ready for that aweful thing we call "work" ! I'm sorry to use foul language like this on the forum ;-)

Keep em' floatin' :)

Peace,
Fish

PS, Oh, here's my old little Montgomery Wards Seaking :) Did the paint myself, with a Cabelas Camo kit (6 cans of spray paint, and a couple stencils) And BTW, I'm not a hunter... I just have a thing for Camo :)
4ef83ea0.jpg

pbw said:
Are those fish real? :shock:

Distgusting isn't it. I would keel over and fall off my boat If I ever caught a Bass that size. :D

Guys if you have not checked out Trophybassonly.com your missing out. I have been following (dreaming about) this site for over 3 years now. There are some serious Pigs out there in Cali :shock:

And BTW, as I always tell people about our huge California trout-eating bass..... Obviously, we have them. And if their's a will, their's a way. But fishing for these trout-eaters is very much like fishing for a different species altogether. And I just can't emphasize that statement enough.

I had fished pretty much all of my life, yet I didn't catch my first double digit bass until 10 years ago (at the age of 33). On the other hand, after sticking that one, I got all flipped out on giant bass, and starting pouring rediculous amounts of time, study, and effort into the pursuit, and now, 10 years later, I'm up to 83 Largemouths over 10 lbs, with 15 of those over 13 lbs, 5 of 15 lbs or more, and my PB of 18.4.

So in other words, "anybody living here could do it.... but not without putting in a ton of time and effort". I'm not really lucky to stick this many big bass..... But I am very lucky to fish the waters I do, 140 days a year :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh and one more thing..... To say that a big high performance bass boat "won't neccessarily help you very much" in my water, is a huge understatement !

On the contrary, a big high performance bass boat will often smash your odds down to almost nothing. Here's what I mean..... My 18.4 came from a pond which doesn't even allow gas motors. That 14.40 and 15.60 that I caught earlier this year, as well as numerous others up to 16.5 lbs, came from a pond which only allows 4 strokers, and also has a 25 mph speed limit...... Not to mention, my best technique in that place, generally involves getting to the area in my boat, then running it up on the gravel and rocks, and fishing from shore. Do that in a 40K fiberglass boat ;-)

Hey, lots (most) of my fishing buddies have those beautiful speed rockets...... but then they don't catch very many huge bass :)
If I ever won one of those boats in a contest or something, I'd sell it cheap, the same day, and keep right on fishing from my little 14 ft "tin boat" :) Those high-per bass boats are truly amazing in a lot of ways, but they are just flat out "not me" :)

Peace,
Fish

Yall keep trying, but my state still holds the world record largemouth. :D

BTW, how do you like the MK powerdrive for bass fishing? I am trying to sell mine, as it is real aggravating. When fishing elec only lakes, the back of my 12er, with no outboard, just goes in its own direction, and the powerdrive doesn't always turn quick enough to counteract that. I can never execute a turn correctly without the weight of the outboard. Can't load it on the trailer with it, like I can with a cable steer. Plus, the foot control doesn't fit any foot correctly.

I'm gonna bet that he doesn't use that Powerdrive for 'bass fishing' in the sense you're speaking of, and it was bought for the advantages is has for everything BUT foot control, but I could be wrong, I learned on a traditional pedal, and those things are just awkard to me.

Fish Cris - good advice for those who want to catch a giant of any species! It is not the boat, rod or bait but it is the angler. Cris put his time in learning the what, where and how to catch big fish and his technique is what gets the fish - NOT his equipment.

I have caught most of my biggest bass from shore! In my area the bass are heavily pressured, catching larger fish involves stealth. I will often cast from well away from the shoreline whether I am in a boat or not. In a boat, I try to stay as far away from the fish holding structure and make long accurate casts before I move in closer.

Also, I notice that lots of bass fishermen fish at a blistering pace. My experience has been it is more productive to really work an area completely then to constantly move from spot to spot. I will spend an hour or more on the same area if I feel that there are fish present. Meanwhile, while I get the fish dialed in I watch other boats constantly move down the lake casting willy nilly at everything.

Learn your spots and you will be rewarded. It might take me 6 hours to work a small lake or pond and the big lakes take me days or even weeks. I have been fishing the same local lake for a few years now and there are still portions of the lake that I feel I have not really worked or learned like I should.

One more thing - bass fishing can be a game of inches - I have often cast at the same area a dozen times and suddenly start catching bass becuase I changed angles and I am now working the "other" side of a log or structure. Those additional 15" in my lure presentation made all the difference.

yes, my bass fishing style "is anything but" traditional. For the 10 years that I had my old 12 ft tin boat, it had a transom mouted t-motor, which you couldn't hardly let go of for two seconds without spinning anyway.... but this was not near so important to me, as my t-motor was hardly ever used to "cover water" per say, but rather, for positioning only.

With my new boat, and my MK power drive, it was a little goofy for me to get used to, but since its the first and only bow mount trolling motor I've ever used, I don't have a lot to compare it to.

BTW, even for bass fishing, I use an anchor a LOT !

The other thing I use my t-motor for is chasing fish, to keep from being spooled..... like that dino-fish (Sturgy) I posted above, caught on the micro-light, or often, with Bat Rays {like hooking into a passing motor vehicle !}

Hey Esquired, where are you from / do you fish ?

Hey Bassboy, Georgia huh ? Yea... and I for one, do believe in George P's fish.... However, did you see the 25.1 lb'er that came from so Cal 2 years ago ? Too bad that one was foul hooked, because I totally believe it was 25.1 lbs. Just a genetic freak of a fish !

Peace,
Fish

I'm sorry.... I didn't mean to make that sound like you might not be an actual fisherman :) I guess I should have asked > Where are you from ? And, where do you fish ? :) I gotta' watch those darn slashes :)

Do you fish for Northern Pike, Muskies, or Walleyes ? I wish we had those....

Fish

I do walleye fish and keep my eyes open for the occasional Muskie (still have yet to catch one) No Northern Pike here, but we have lost of Smallies and LM Bass.

I fish all over SE Pennsylvania - basically from the Schuylkill River to the Delaware River.

My great passion is Salt Water fishing in the Delaware Bay and points south. I run a 26 foot Mako out of Slaughter Beach, DE and run between there and the Chesapeake Bay

You ever come out east look me up - you have a trip or seven on me!

Latest posts