radio and speakers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shizzy77

Reaction score
does anyone have any pics of a Head unit and speakers installed? Im really trying to avoid cutting two large holes in the sides of my seats. I can mount the head unit just about anywhere, but im stumped as to where to put the speakers. I have an old set of 6x9's and am going to find an old CD player for cheap.

I've got a Pyle headunit and 1 indoor/outdoor speaker on my 12' jon... I have it hooked straight up to my batteries (they are in parallel) and I also have my fishfinder, front trolling motor and livewell hooked to the same setup. I can go ALL day long with the radio running, fishfinder, livewell running (500gph bilge) and being pretty abusive on the trolling motor. The radio doesn't pull that much amperage.. you can make you a box for your 6x9s.. just use 1/4 in plywood and you'll be fine for the boat. The whole setup below cost me about $150 ($70 for head unit, $50 for speakers, and $25 for the waterproof casing for the headunit)

DSCF0725.jpg

DSCF0728.jpg

DSCF0732.jpg

Russ, do you have any pics of where your speakers are? And where did you get the waterproof case for the head unit? I can only find the front cover style.

may not help much cause i had to cut holes, but here is what i did.

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,400
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,403
russ you da man that boat has everything...
how many channels do you get on the tv do yu get wfn???\\

Why not just buy a cheapo battery powered FM/CD/MP3 player.I've never been fond of marine audio equipment used on open boats.

Russ that is a killer front deck. Nice job.

Do you have to use a marine radio, can't I just use one of the head units I have sitting in my garage? I have like 3-4 I have aquired over the years. What is the difference between a marine radio and car/truck radio?

Hanr3 said:
Russ that is a killer front deck. Nice job.

Do you have to use a marine radio, can't I just use one of the head units I have sitting in my garage? I have like 3-4 I have aquired over the years. What is the difference between a marine radio and car/truck radio?

The car ones rust!

But if you have two of three use quick connects and burn through them

Then get a boom box (cheapo one) and you are set

The speaker is in the pictures above... if you look in the left corner, you'll see a white box - that's the speaker. And I was wrong, it's not pyle, it's Dual.

I'm using a marine headunit, but you can use a regular headunit - you really need to get a waterproof enclosure like I have though

Here is everything that I've got...

Speakers - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A5S926

Housing - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5T0UI (it doesn't show the front cover, but it is there and it is watertight! I sat through a monsoon last Sunday and everything is still working today.) I did take the radio out this past week to see just how water tight it was, and that was the only thing on my boat that wasn't drenched.

Headunit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001584Q9M This thing is sweet! I have about 4 of 5 1GB sandisk cards filled with different genres of music so I can switch between country, rock, alternative, classic rock.. and there is also a USB hookup, so I can play off of MP3 players or anything that connects with a usb plug. It doesn't have a CD player, which I didn't want anyways.

Listening to music while on the water will be totally new to me. Usually I sit there in silence listening to mother nature sing her song.

Waterwings said:
Dang, Russ, that looks good! All you need now is a wet bar and you're set! :)

What makes you think he doesn't have one?? I do :wink:

But seriously, how does music (or whatever) being played inside the boat while fishing affect the fish? Spook 'em? If I were sitting over a crappie crib, I'm not sure I'd want music vibrating in the boat???

Comments???

you've seen all the fish I've caught in the fishing reports right? well... those were all caught with the radio playing. I don't blare it, and I keep the bass turned off so there is no vibration... and I've got the speaker case lined with dynamat which I had left over from old stereo installs...

either way I don't see it making a difference... if a trolling motor buzzing over their heads at 1' doesn't make them move, I don't see a radio making much difference either (ever watch Hook-n-Look?)

Not sure what Hook and Look is, no I never watched it.

Also not sure how fish react to music. I do know that I have done my share of clanking and banging in an aluminum boat and it doesn't seem to phase them. Besides, isn't music supposed to calm the savage beast. :lol:

Where did you get your waterproof contianer for your head unit?

By the way Russ. Nice set up. I'm realy thinking about putting one on my brothers boat and I'm glad you posted about amp usage. I know for sure now I will put one on there. But I'm going to do more of a dash mount type thing.

Thanks again,
Jamey