what length shat for TM?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Ok I am going to do a couple of mods to my boat next spring. First is to add a bow mount Tm. My question is, How do I determine what shaft length I need? It's 14' v-hull.

S2010019.jpg

S2010023.jpg

I am going to add a small platform on the bow Using 3/4" exterior plywood to mount the TM.

fishnfever

Nice rig! Just guessing, but a 36" shaft should do the trick. Figure out where your waterline is and sort of measure from there. I have a 36" shaft bow mount tm on my 16' Lowe jon boat, and it works fine for depth requirements.

I have the 12 foot version of your boat, and a 48 inch shaft (shortest one the Powerdrive came in. It is incredibly long, I you would definitely be fine with a 36 inch. Did you see my post farther down this forum about mounting a trolling motor to a vee hull? No holes required in the boat. Take a sheet of 3/4 inch ply, and cut it to fit the vee, with about 2 inches on each side. Now, get a chunk of aluminum (we used some extrusions with goofy shapes, but regular chunks work fine) and cut the angles to fit exactly under the gunwale. Now, drill holes in the ply, and the aluminum. A 5/16s bolt holds it down just fine. Removable, and doesn't damage the boat at all. See pics in that thread.

Thanks!!! Bassboy I did read your post. I have to get to homedepot one weekend and look around. Will try and keep things updated. I was looking at 45" shaft as I can get one of these fairly inexpensive. I am assuming that you can adjust the height like a transom mount?

Thanks again,

fishnfever

Latest posts