Fuel filter/water separator

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindenny

Reaction score
How many of you run them on your small boats? I don't have one but think I'm going to add one this week. I bought a used jon at the beginning of the year and am having some trouble with the motor running. I starts fine and idles fine but when I give it any throttle it dies out. I know the fuel was old and added stabilizer to it and some fresh gas but it still did it. So last night I dumped the old gas and refilled the tank with all new. Do you think that will solve my problems or am I looking at a carb rebuild? I'm running a 25hp Marinar 4 stroke prop by the way. I think the water separator won't do anything but help the cause in the long run also.

take the carb off and drain the gas out (just flip it upside down). after that hold it upright like it would normall mount on the motor and blow in the fuel line. you should be able to blow air threw the carb. turn the carb upside down and blow threw the fuel line with about 2-3psi. you should not be able to blow any air threw it. thats a quick check to make sure your float needle is seating correctly. if all thats good i'd check your float adjustment, make sure its level or slightly up when the carb is upside down.

water seperators are added insurance

redbug said:
I run a separator on my motor it can only help...cheap insurance the way i look at it

Exactly like Redbug said. I have one on my 4-stroke because I've already experienced the ill effects of Ethanol and water. It's not worth the risk with old gas either. Throw it out. If by chance you put Ethanol in it, be aware that it only has a shelf life of 90 days in idea conditions and 30 or less days in a boat.