Dent repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I know this one gets asked a lot, but what is the best way to repair those unsightly dents and dings on the outside of my boat? Does some kind of putty work the best?

if you can't beat the dings out - (a 2x4 on the outside, a small flat sledge hammer on the inside) then why not just leave it... small dings and dents are what shows a jon really gets used for its' purpose...

I think there is some putty/bondo made for aluminum... but I don't know about its' durability

oh beleive me , this boat doesnt just have small ones! It had a jet outboard on it and you can tell it has had its fair share of shallow running.

There isn't really a bondo sort of thing that is made for a marine environment, as far as I know. And, if your boat is a jet in shallow water, I have a feeling these won't be the last dents it sees, so the patches aren't going to hold up well. If you really do a LOT of river running, you can check out the UHMW plastic (Ultra High Molecular Weight), that a lot of folks are putting on the bottom of jet rigs. Except for the fact that the jet pump needs water, you could run that on land with no issues. Guys are now no longer afraid to jump up shoals, if they have a tunnel to protect the jet pump.

Won't fix the dings, but will cover them up, and prevent just about any future damage.

At the hardware store near my house they sail a stuff like JB Weld and its for marine cracks and small dents. I will find out the name of it for yea.

Bone Collector said:
I know jbweld has a tendency to crack though.
Hence why I wouldn't use it. Aluminum boats flex a LOT. You wouldn't realize how much they do unless you put a gauge of some sort on it. The JB weld will likely crack right off, as it doesn't like to flex.

Latest posts