trolling motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunnels

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a 55 lb. transom mount motor for my 14' aluminum deep-vee. The question is Minn-Kota or Motor Guide? I have a 36 lb. Minn-Kota now that is about 8 years old. Still works fine but I'm planning on adding floors & storage so the extra weight is driving me. Any help with motors? :?:

A 36lbs thrust trolling motor will move you along in calm water.If the wind kicks up you might come up short.The smallest thing I would use would be a 55lbs thrust.I prefer Minn Kota.That's pretty much all I have ever used.

tunnels, glad you found the site this is the place to ask ALL your mod questions they have done them all and can give you some good info.

being a motor guide guy and reading Russ post I cant say they will give you ALL good info..

jut kidding minnkota makes a nice motor but i would go with a 24 volt motor

Wayne

Tunnels said:
I'm looking to get a 55 lb. transom mount motor for my 14' aluminum deep-vee. The question is Minn-Kota or Motor Guide? I have a 36 lb. Minn-Kota now that is about 8 years old. Still works fine but I'm planning on adding floors & storage so the extra weight is driving me. Any help with motors? :?:

That's good enough reason. Minnkota

I have a MG on the bow, and a MK on the transom. The only reason I have the MK is that BPS was out of the MG transom mount I wanted, so I settled, because I'd driven 2 hours to get there. They're all good motors, and everyone has their particular brands they prefer. :wink:

On the smaller transom mount motors, you will probably be alright with either one, due to the simplicity of both. The larger ones are a different story. But, here are a few things to chew on.

Minn Kota has Maximizer as an option. I am not sure about the Varimax, but I know on many of Motorguide's motors, they don't have that available.

Minn Kota will very likely make it through the recession we are facing now. There has been much talk of Brunswick (owns Motorguide, among about 30 or so other boat manufactures) going under. I personally see it happening, as Brunswick in the past 5 years has employed many of the same management methods OMC did in its last 5 years. Then, when they accidentally introduced a bad motor, they couldn't make it through. In this case, it isn't so much of the bad product that will kill them, but the economic state. It took the financial loss of the Ficht motors to kill OMC, and this economy is showing the same loss on Brunswick right now.
If Brunswick goes under, who will support warranties?

I am not going to bore y'all with it, but if wanted, I could present quite a bit of statistical info that (I hate to say proves, as it pertains to my opinion - I guess we could say support) my opinion on the MK motors being an all around better motor, on many fronts.

I own a couple of both and like the quietness of the MK but the durability of the MG makes it my go to motor when I am away from parts availability (Mexico)........Cmack