trolling motor up front

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FR0G

Reaction score
I am having troubles running my trolling motor up front. I dont have enough weight in the back to keep things level. When I fish, the bought is nose heavy. How can I cure this? Will mounting the battery in the back help?

Sounds like your stern is lifting a bit prbably catching some wind?
Do you use an outboard?
Ever little bit helps,just play with it.

Quackrstackr said:
I have thrown concrete blocks in the back of a small boat on many, many occasions.
The a good idea...or if the lake is rocky,use them,then just dump them when the day is over.
Alot of times in a canoe by urself rocks can help alot.

I've got 2 batteries in the back, and 2 batteries in the middle bench of my 1236 jon... it leveled me out a lot by putting those batteries in the back.

Ok, well I tried putting the batteries in the back. It worked for leveling it out, but I am still having troubles with tracking straight. Right now, my trolling motor shaft doesn't go far enough into the water, so that may be the problem. And no, I am not using a outboard. I may jack the bow mount motor off my big boat to see how that works.

I have a 14 foot jon, when I overheated the little four horse engine I tried to relieve some drag by tilting the engine. The boat would not track straight at all and I had a long way to go on the trolling motor! I dropped the engine back in the water and voila!

Have the same problem with my 12' glass boat - when using the front motor, it must have something on the rear as well to track straight. I have a transom mount troller too, so I put it on even if I'm not using it.

I have to keep my OB down as well or my boat fishtails badly. I'm thinking of taking my prop off this year to maybe reduce the drag some and only put the prop on when I use the OB.

ACarbone624 said:
I have to keep my OB down as well or my boat fishtails badly. I'm thinking of taking my prop off this year to maybe reduce the drag some and only put the prop on when I use the OB.

Why not try to make yourself a rutter,be alot lighter.Doesn't sound like you would be using the outboard?

I'm a pretty big guy...I think if I took off my outboard I would have to put a few blocks in the back of the boat to keep the stern in the water. #-o Most of our lakes are electric only, so I don't use the OB very much.

Latest posts