New Boat and Ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodtimes

Reaction score
First of all I would like to say hey to everyone on here, I have enjoyed reading the forum for quite some time, but never registered myself. Now I have and I look forward to sharing any information that I can and learning from the experienced folks on here. I just purchased a 12 foot flat bottom jon for $100 and also got lucky while looking on craiglist I found a 2004 5hp mercury and bought it for $350. I am going to be using the boat mainly for redfishing and am going to have two people on it, I am also going to be poling the boat on the flats and am looking forward to it. I am trying to figure out a way to build a front deck to where the boat is not too tipsy and maybe also some compartments in the seats. First things first, I have to paint it and am going to start working on that soon. Oh, I took her out yesterday for the first time and she got right on plane with me and a three gallon gas tank. Here are the pics of what she looks like. Any suggestions on how to rig it would be awesome, thanks guys.
Photo_031809_002.jpg

Photo_031809_003.jpg

I am living in Charleston, South Carolina. Just moved here and I am loving it so far, the jon looks like it will be perfect for the creeks and shallow flats around here.

If you're going to be poling in the flats, in my opinion, keep it light as possible, maybe all aluminum deck and framing just on the floors. 2 people standing up in a 12 footer isn't very stable no matter where you put the deck.

What is the bottom width? Looks like 32" but I could be wrong. You will definitely want to keep the decks low. In fact, I personally would put a flat floor from the back to the middle bench, directly onto the ribs. Then, raise it up no more than 6 inches or so in the bow, a lot like Russ010 did in his 1236. Put to much height, and a good size red will tip you out.

goodtimes said:
I am living in Charleston, South Carolina. Just moved here and I am loving it so far, the jon looks like it will be perfect for the creeks and shallow flats around here.
Be careful running that thing before you get it registered. SC is about the worst I have found for stuff like that.

Thanks guys.....yea the bottom is 32 wide, which makes it very tipsy. I am thinking about not putting any decking on it, I will let you all know what happens. I just picked up some goods today and just changed out the spark plug and changed the lower unit oil on the merc. :)

goodtimes said:

Good choice for your area.I'm in the upstate.That's a steal of a deal on the boat and motor.

bassboy1 said:
goodtimes said:
Be careful running that thing before you get it registered. SC is about the worst I have found for stuff like that.

I agree.The first time I tried to go out, I got busted on the ramp, before I put in.It had been a while since I had fished my fav lake.They changed the rules and I got caught with a 2 stroke motor.If I hadn't been a new register,they would have fined me and possibly banned me from the lake.Most lakes in my area have went to 4 stroke only.

Killer deals, especially the motor! My wife and I had our honeymoon on Kiawah. Love the Charleston area, but much to hot and humid in the summer for me :|

Latest posts