$600, Good Buy?? need opinions ASAP.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoody

Reaction score
Ok, this is a 1989 Bass Tracker PF16. The guy selling is close to my area and was asking $750 but will take $600, is it worth it? The outboard is not part of the deal. He does not have title to either. He is in North Carolina I am in South Carolina, I don't need to title the trailer but will it be a issue registering the boat?

It has a dent in the front as seen in the last picture below.

Thanks

Attachments

• IM000121.JPG
    IM000121.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 473
  • IM000122.JPG
    IM000122.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 471
  • IM000123.JPG
    IM000123.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 470
  • IM000124.JPG
    IM000124.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 473
I'd say it's worth that. Not sure about the registration/title with SC. Make sure to get a bill of sale, and I'd copy his driver's licsense information.

Not a good deal.It took me 3 months to get a title and registration for a boat I have owned since new.I never titled my boat because I only used it on ponds.When I did register it,I went through a big hassle.South Carolina is real strict on boats without titles.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/1071616934.html
https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/boa/1052362576.html

Could wear yourself out looking at boats around you.
Have no idea on how hard it would be to title that boat maybe you have time to look into it?
Do you already own an outboard?
That is a nice looking tracker,needs some work though.
You would fly in this one:
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/1079987871.html

I agree with Ben2go on that one.I bought a boat out of Georgia from a friend of mine,there you dont have to title your boat.Got it back to south carolina march of last year.when i went to get my paper work they told me that it had been registered in sc before so they had to get in touch with the previous owner in sc.this being said,they kept every piece of paper work i had.After calling for months on end i finally got my stickers and title 3 weeks ago l :x :x :x

I used to work with eBay Motors for their fraud protection programs. One thing we used to help cover people for is recieving a vehicle (including boats) without a title, if the vehicle came from a state which required a title.

That being said, I have a lot of experiance in obtaining titles to various kinds of vehicles. Generally, so long as the vehicle is not stolen, or does not have some kind of undisclosed brand on the title which prevents issuing a new title (for example that it was "salvaged" or "flooded") you can almost always obtain some kind of title to it in nearly every state.

While you may be able to get a title, that doesn't mean it will be easy. I don't know about S.C. specifically off the top of my head, and it sounds like some of the other posters have experience, so I would listen to them.

Standards vary widely from state to state, especially when it comes to boats. The one thing that ALL states have in common, however, is that dealing with the DMV (or whatever beurocracy is responsible for boats) is a generally horrendous, gut-wrenching experiance.

I guess all of this is to say, if you live in a state that requires a title (not just registration) for a boat, and if you value your time, don't by a boat without the proper paperwork. If, on the other hand, you enjoy endless hours on hold, waiting to speak to a total idiot at the DMV, proceed with the purchase. :)

Waterwings said:
Is that a piece of metal channel used for the bow stop on the trailer?
Nope. Looks like 2 2x4s with carpet on them. Ingenious method for dealing with an improperly setup trailer, or ramps that are way to steep, when the bow wants to go under the stop. That allows it to ramp up. Only thing it needs is a cross bar at the top to catch the bow, so it doesn't ramp up too far. Never seen that done before, but I can definitely see the need for such.

bassboy1 said:
Waterwings said:
Is that a piece of metal channel used for the bow stop on the trailer?
Nope. Looks like 2 2x4s with carpet on them. Ingenious method for dealing with an improperly setup trailer, or ramps that are way to steep, when the bow wants to go under the stop. That allows it to ramp up. Only thing it needs is a cross bar at the top to catch the bow, so it doesn't ramp up too far. Never seen that done before, but I can definitely see the need for such.

Thanks! I couldn't tell what it was. I need to go put my dang bifocals on. :roll:

Cheese say nay on that deal hoss. No motor? No title? No deal!

In this economy your bound to come across a great deal with a motor and a title... Why buy extra work for yourself?

Cheeseball said:
Cheese say nay on that deal hoss. No motor? No title? No deal!

In this economy your bound to come across a great deal with a motor and a title... Why buy extra work for yourself?

That's a good way to look at it.

Run far and wide from it!I bought many boats similar here in az for the same price with outboard trailer and boat both having a title. [-X [-X

This is the same boat I found for 600.00 boat, motor trailer and title. There are out there keep searching. Found mine one craiglist. Heck they are giving boats away there.

jims72 said:
I bought many boats similar here in az for the same price with outboard trailer and boat both having a title. [-X [-X

In that case, I am moving to Az. That would be a good deal for a Georgia boy to go get (In these parts, if someone asked for the title to that boat, you would tell them "Bass Tracker")

Don't trust the no title. Unless he is the last registered owner, and then I'd make HIM get the title (he can file for a lost title and get a new one, but not if he bought it and didn't register it or whatever the case.) I've dealt with a boat with no title, and it is crazy. You can pay someone $100-150 for a storage lien type title (to do the leg work and get you one). If you think its worth $750 then maybe, but if his story is he lost it, make him get it. I personally like the boat, and would be very interested for $600, but no title.... buyer beware

Latest posts