Floor Drainage on aluminum V hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nippissinger

Reaction score
Hi y'all...I am very glad I found this forum. I like the format and the experience is abundant in here. makes a newbie feel very comfortable to tackle any project and have fun doing it.

My first question before I start any mods on my '73 unknown Mirrocraft is;

How do I modify the stringers to allow water to pass through from the bow to the stern/bilge area?

SDC10192-1.jpg

Thanx for accepting me into here I have learned so much already from reading and have enhanced my imagination for my mod..

Nipper...

Welcome to the site.
Are those ribs solid to the floor?Looks like water will go through but dirt will clog it a bit.

Hi zum, thanx,I'm lovin it here.

They are riveted abiut every 4". water barely slips through and yes dirt does clog it. I was hopin' I could drill port hole sorta speak or maybe even cut some small 2" sections down the middle of each rib to produce channels for the water to run...

Nipper...

I beleive I would drill holes, 1/8 to 1/4", 3 or 4 on each side of the rib 3 or 4 inches apart to let water pass. I would do as little as possible to let water pass. That way you're not taking away to much of the rib material. My Starcraft is the same way, and that is what I'm planning on doing.

Holes will fill with dirt quickly. I had a boat once that it looked as if the previous owner constantly fought against the water all the time, and lost every time. I don't think there is much to do that won't ruin the structural integrity, other than build your structure of aluminum, where water won't rot it, and live with it. I had the same issue in my Grumman, but I wasn't about to do anything to it, as I got it when 10 years old, and it looked showroom new, other than some slight paint fading. In fact, I put the first scratch on that. :wink: Part of the reason I sold it. Too nice for me.

Thanx for the insight guys. I am likely to go with bassboy's comment on using aluminum on the lower structure and then I can tie in wood for the top braces.....

Ok, now to find a place cheaper than 7.00 a foot.

Nipper...

Latest posts