How often do you experience this ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
How many times have you been talking about your little tin boat with a "big boat" owner, and had them say "in an obvious sympathetic tone" > "Oh yea'.... I had a little aluminum boat for years.... That boat was great... I just loved it.... <

.....and it's just totally obvious that they feel like they have to make you feel better about fishing from a "lowly" small aluminum. But all the while, your sitting there thinking to yourself, "You had a little aluminum boat for years ? ...that you loved ? ...and it was great" ??? Uhhhh.... shouldn't that have taught you something ?

So now you have this big beautful gas guzzler that you can barely afford to operate ? .....and your trying to console me ?

Ha ! How funny is this ? LOL :)

Hey, I'm not fishing out of a little tin boat because I don't have a choice ! I love my little boat, and honestly I totally prefer to fish from it in most of my fishing situations.

Have fun, and be safe,
Fish

This last spring I was fishing on Chickhominy Reservoir in New Kent County, Virginia. I was sitting in my chair on the bow manuevering between some cypress trees. I came up to a guy who was fishing a shallow area with plastic lizards. He had what had to be a $40,000+ Triton boat (wearing a matching Triton shirt :roll: ). He had enough big LCD sreens on that thing that it looked like a Circuit City showroom. He made a similar comment to me - in an almost condesending way stated what nice boat I had, that he once had an aluminum.

Then he started to lament that the moon was this or that, that the bass "should be bedding," that they ought to be hitting lizards, etc... He stated he hadn't had a hook-up all day. I pointed him to an area on the north side of the lake where he would probably be more successful. He then stated he had tried to "get back there" earlier in the day, but couldn't get his boat back there. I told him that was too bad, it had been very productive for me that morning. :twisted:

Yes, we do love our lil' aluminum rigs. But, there is that inner sense wanting something bigger....
faster.....
and more powerful.....

Which then causes us to buy bigger aluminum rigs. Funny how that works. :D
BTW, I don't ever see myself in glass, until I make it into the higher level tourneys, assuming that is the path I want to follow. Or, if I am fishing a lot of big water, which is a bit rough in aluminum (need the heavier weight) But, for now, I am happy with all four of my aluminums (even though the smallest is the only functional one.)

this is kind of my point. "For most of the fishing I do" I really do not want a bigger boat. I can honestly tell you, "I'm fishing out of my dream boat" which happens to be 14 1/2 feet.

When I was surfing the internet, looking for "the perfect boat {for me}", I found my G3 V143T. I couldn't really afford 'even' this boat (although by new boat and motor standards, it wasn't real expensive).
So, I started bugging G3 for a sponsorship..... and Bam ! I got one :)

The funny part was, they would have given me a steal of deal (or should I say, ' sponsorship deal') on pretty much any G3 boat I picked out. And so yes, even the guys at G3 were a little surprised that "I only wanted a 14 ft'er".... But the whole idea for me was, to keep it light, economical, easy to operate solo. etc.

And you have to realize, I had been fishing from a 12 ft'er with two, big, ugly benches that took up half of what little space that boat had to begin with. So my new boat really felt like a yaught ! :)

Anyway, my point is, only for those occasional trips that I would like to take out to the bay or ocean, or maybe on a windy day, to a big lake, where I just really have to get to a spot, would I want a bigger boat..... and even so, I wouldn't trade my 14 ft'er for it..... I'd only want it in addition to my current 14 ft baby :)

Peace,
Fish

PS, Besides, even the "highest level" of my type of fishing {trophy bass fishing, among other species} does not require a big, fast boat. On the contrary, depending on where I fish, it sometimes requires a small boat, with no gas motor :)

esquired said:
Watch it - some of us own glass boats :D

word.gif

Fish Chris said:
this is kind of my point. "For most of the fishing I do" I really do not want a bigger boat. I can honestly tell you, "I'm fishing out of my dream boat" which happens to be 14 1/2 feet.

Amen. I live in southeastern Virginia. We have lots of reservoirs, but they are small compared to some lakes in Missouri and Tennessee. Our lakes are usually horsepower-restricted, or electric only. There are only a few lakes where there are no horsepower restrictions, but the one I like best (Chickohominy) is so shallow and much of it so cluttered with trees and whatnot that big boats are at a serious disadvantage. The only other places that allow big boats are our tidal rivers. But there's lots of ramps to put me close to here I want to fish, and I can still deal with dense trees and shallow water better than big boats.

Huge bass boat don't make a lot of sense where I live. They restrict where and how you can fish. They are nice rides, pretty, stable, and a status symbol. But I live in country that begs you to fish from a jon boat. If I were to move up to a glass boat, it would be one that I could use in saltwater for inshore fishing.

Anyway, my point is, only for those occasional trips that I would like to take out to the bay or ocean, or maybe on a windy day, to a big lake, where I just really have to get to a spot, would I want a bigger boat..... and even so, I wouldn't trade my 14 ft'er for it..... I'd only want it in addition to my current 14 ft baby Smile
Yeah, my 12er isn't going anywhere, any time soon. Or, if it does, it is to change to a different style of 12 or 14er. But, I will take you fishing on Allatoona, or Lanier, or the Atlantic to show how much of a must a bigger boat is. Mind you, I have had my Grumman in 3 foot breakers, on a REALLY WINDY day, but there are times on 'toona that I feel in danger. Not to mention, the lake has a good 20 - 25 mile run from one end to another.

On a couple local electric only lakes, people launch their bass boats, but are still stuck with a 2.5 foot draft. Me, alone, I can skip through about 5 or 6. With dad and me, it is about 8 or 9 inches - less if the mud is soft. Nice bass have been caught that way.

hey fish chris, I just sold my 21' stratos this past spring and I am in the market for a smaller aluminum boat. Yeah I am going to miss going 80 mph but yeah I am not going to miss the $200.00 filling the boat and truck up.

Can one of those big expensive boats skim over 6" of water....I don't think so. Thats why I love my boat. I get into almost any area of the lakes I fish.

Evreyone's situation is different....here on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, we have options to fish almost any type of water. I had a 18' Cobia a few years ago and could go out in the Gulf ( watching the weather always...) or marsh fish with it but it cost too much to operate plus I had to be more careful with it as far as running in shallow water or beaching it because of the fiber glass. I kept it for a few years but decided it wasn't me so I sold it and went back to my roots, a 'tin boat' (2004 PT 175-50 Merc.). Can't be more happy with the Tracker for my type of fishing !! So it doesn't bother me when guys brag about their 'big boats' , I just brag on mine ..... that usually gets them thinking......

Latest posts