decking a boat with plastic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2007NNBS

Reaction score
i was reading up on decking my boat with a 1/4" plastic sheet like plexiglass but not clear. it is strong they said and it will hold 100 LB/SQ. FT. so if you frame it on 12" center like mine it will hold great...what do yall think

Would you cover it with carpet or something? Otherwise I could see that being a skating rink when it gets wet. Although you could put the clear plexi and install LEDs under the floor and really light up your boat for nightfishing. :D

I never thought about it but a material like plexiglass is pretty brittle... even moreso in cold temps.

Some plastics are a lot tougher than others, though. Regardless of compound, you will have problems with cracking/busting around your attachment locations without some sort of compression limiter. Even with those, it may still bust because of the load and flex.

(I design plastic gizmos for the auto industry for a living :lol: )

1/2 inch plexi is the same weight as 3/4 inch ply.It is brittle below 50*F.It would work if you don't fish in cold weather.You'll have to sand it really good to get the glue to stick to the plexi.I'd use 320 grit.Kapsai Glass is asking $120 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch plexi.

I wouldn't do it. It doesn't have the flexible properties needed. You could almost do it with aluminum for the price of the plastic.

Quackrstackr said:
Oh, so your the person that I have always held a high disliking for..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

bassboy1 said:
Quackrstackr said:
Oh, so your the person that I have always held a high disliking for..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, but I will tell him that you are looking for him. :lol:

Latest posts