New Guy with questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksmith

Reaction score
First off, I love this site. Lots of helpful people who don't seem to get too upset about answering a lot of the same questions by folks like me.

About five years ago, I inherited a 12' flat-bottom Jon boat, brand unknown, and a old Elgin motor that looks to be from the 1950's. I hung the motor in the rafters of my garage, making a fine home for countless dirt-daubers, and hung the boat from the rafters of the lawnmower shed adjoining the garage. It made a nice bird condo. Now, I'm looking to fix it up, register it, and use it on camping trips with the wife and kid.

First, the thing is small. I mean really small. My biggest fear is that I'm going to be putting along around the bay and some Jimmy Houston wannabe will zoom by creating a wake and I'm suddenly experiencing a miniature version of the Poseidon Adventure. Is this fear legitimate, or am I worrying too much? Really, I'm not that worried, but if I take my wife out with me and something like this happens and she ends up swimming back to the shore, I'm likely to get kicked out of the camper (or worse, the dinner table).

I'm really only looking to put a paint job on it, some carpet in the floors, and a couple of seats. What's the general consensus on the clamp-on seat mounts, as sold at Cabela's? Or should I go for something more permanent? I'm going to be hauling this thing on a canoe rack on top of my truck, so I don't want some seats making that difficult, but I also don't want something flimsy that slides around because I can't seem to get it tight enough.

Thanks,
Kevin

Welcome to TinBoats my friend

Your boat is small - so just pay extra close attention. Wakes from other boats is a problem (and is also illegal - you are always responsible for your wake and any damage done)

I would worry more about the weather - you do not want to be out in a boat that small if there is even a mild chop or swell.

As far as the seats, i have never used them but if you use the search feature (top right hand corner) you will find lots of varied reviews.

Finally, why paint the boat? Clean it up and go fishing - you do not get any extra points for a well painted boat and the fish do not care!

you always have to watch out for the a-holes in the penis boats. most people are fairly cautious and slow down when going by other boats, but some just don't care. you have always got to be on the lookout for them and never put yourself in a position to be swamped. what part of Arkansas are ya from? and where will you be boating?

Welcome aboard.
I've had experience with the idiots in the bigger boat, if it does ever happen, you don't want to be taking on the wakes with the side of your boat. When I see a boat coming by and know I'm going to be seeing some big wakes, I just turn the bow into the wakes.
As far as the seats go, I have used the clamp on style, and have found that they work well.

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I'm painting it is because that paint has worn to bare aluminum on about 60% of its surface. I'll snap a picture when I get home tonight. I wanted to get seats simply as a back saver.

I will usually be weekend camping at Shoal Bay, which feeds Lake Dardanelle. Though we have a trip planned for Ouachita this summer (where skiers are more plentiful). I'm from around Fort Smith.

Kevin

:WELCOME:

I also have a small boat and young people seem to be the problem where I go.They try to swamp small boats.Try to keep the bow facing into the wake.Be very aware of jet skis.They can turn near you and the rooster tail will fill a jon boat real quick.
I have never used clamp on mounts,so I can't help you out on that.

ksmith said:
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I'm painting it is because that paint has worn to bare aluminum on about 60% of its surface. I'll snap a picture when I get home tonight. I wanted to get seats simply as a back saver.

I will usually be weekend camping at Shoal Bay, which feeds Lake Dardanelle. Though we have a trip planned for Ouachita this summer (where skiers are more plentiful). I'm from around Fort Smith.

Kevin

I take my big boat when I head to Ouchita. Too big a lake for a small boat, the waves can kick up to 3 to 4 footers on the open lake in no time with a squall or heavy wind. I normally fish on Little River or Millwood lake. waves and weather on the lake aren't as big a concern, unlike Ouachita. The dang bass boats haul butt , especially when a tourneys on . it's nothing to have one go buy you in the river channel running 70+ MPH and kick up some big waves. I have a 16' semi V which is very stable so it's not a major issue with me , just kind of annoying the lack of consideration they have for others.

Welcome ksmith,

Education, one person at a time. I typically fish small to medium size lakes. Most the folk's are regular's. Every now and then we get some new guy with one of them big expensive boat's that is just out there to go fast. Simply wait till he pull's up to the dock to get his truck and trailer, then pull up and have a little talk with them about boating ettiquate. Mostly young and inexperienced boater's who didn't realize the danger they were creating for the folk's in the smaller boat's, very apologetic. Of course sometimes you get a neolithic course haired nuckle dragging simion. Use your own judgement and go from there.

To answer the seat question, I have two in my 14ft with the clamp-ons & I think they are great. Lots better to lean back on than nothing at all.
Oh, I too worry about the wake from other boats, but as long as you are aware you should be okay.

Here's a pic of the little boat:
img2219b.jpg

Please ignore the messy garage.

The reason I'm painting it is because it looks like someone took a boat trip through a sandblast cabinet:

img2222e.jpg

img2220s.jpg

Oh, I found the brand. I went to https://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm and entered the Hull ID and it came back with "Arkansas Homemade Boats". Never heard of it.

Kevin

if you or the PO have no paperwork on it and it hasn't been registered since in the 70's. (forget the exact year) or whomever reg'd it at some point before you, in Arkansas they will reg it as a homemade boat. At some point in it's life that's probably what someone did..

Latest posts