Weighing my boat and trailer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
I have a 14" Jon on a small trailer with a 25hp motor. Is there a way to weigh this using a bathroom scale?

I don't know if that will work.I think the weight would exceed the scales weight rating.If you have a truck stop or landfill you could use there scales to weigh in and then go back to the scales without the boat hitched up.I use the truck scales.I do a 1st weigh with the trailer,drop the trailer in the parking lot where I can see it,and then go for a 2nd weigh.It only cost me $3 for both weigh ins at a truck stop.

I don't think you can weigh it like that unless you can pick up the boat and motor while standing on the scale, then take your weight and subract that from the weight of you holding it....

I'm not sure where abouts you are, but you can go to some truck gas stations where they have certified scales to weigh it... if it weighs your vehicle too, you can just subtract the gross weight.

If you tell us the what kind of boat (length, width of floor) and the year/model of your motor, we can get you a really close estimate.

Thanks. I was hoping I could weigh the tougne and at each wheel to come up with a total.

you would have to have bigger scales than bathroom scales for that... that's how we weigh pallets in the military - but they are heavy duty scales that can be ran over.

Can you weigh it with a bathroom scale? Now that depends. Most bathroom scales can weigh objects up to 300 pounds. That means you can weigh up to 600 pounds using that scale. Place a solid block (the same height as the scale) near the scale and place a board from the block to the scale and zero the scale. Weigh the object half way between the scale and the block and then double the reading on the scale. That's the way we used to weigh a garage door if it was over 300 pounds.

normal_scale.JPG

If you don't exceed the scale limit, I think you could. If it exceed's the scale limit, take the motor off and try again. Empty everything outa the boat. Lay about a 2X6 piece of board in front of the scale, drive the wheel onto the wood and then onto the scale (so you don't crush the scale.) Note the weight. Think it would be safe to assume the other side will weigh the same. Will be a small difference due to the shift of center of gravity (wheel being weighed will be about 2" higher on the scale, so will be slightly less than actual due to weight shifted to lower wheel) but will only be a few pounds. Now weigh the tongue jack at the front. Add'em all together and see what you have. Then weigh the other stuff by standing on the scale holding them, and subtract your body weight (gas, battery, troll motor) and add all together.
Personaly, I'd pay the three buck's. :lol:

Are you sure your bathroom is big enough for your boat and trailer to fit in? probably atleast have to take the door off the hinges. :lol:

Well the master bath is big enough but it's upstairs. If I take the toilet and sink out of the downstairs bath and turn the boat and trailer on their side it should be no problem to fit thru the door.

you need to think outside the box... take your trailer and scale to a construction site they have porta pots there

Popeye said:
Can you weigh it with a bathroom scale? Now that depends. Most bathroom scales can weigh objects up to 300 pounds. That means you can weigh up to 600 pounds using that scale. Place a solid block (the same height as the scale) near the scale and place a board from the block to the scale and zero the scale. Weigh the object half way between the scale and the block and then double the reading on the scale. That's the way we used to weigh a garage door if it was over 300 pounds.

normal_scale.JPG

4 wheelers have been using this method for years. Mostly to get a togue weight.