recessed tm foot control???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience with the recessed trays for your trolling motor foot control on a tin boat? I've been thinking of upgrading my tm and even going with a hand control to free up a little more room on the deck? What do ya think?

I've never used one.

I find it rare that my foot pedal remains in one place for any significant period of time. I don't know how I could ever pick one spot and then stick with it.

Mattman said:
I've never used one.

I find it rare that my foot pedal remains in one place for any significant period of time. I don't know how I could ever pick one spot and then stick with it.

I concur with that thought as well as the fact I don't have the TM on the boat when I troll for salmon and would hate to step in the hole, lose my balance and go over the side when 10 miles out in Lake Michigan by myslef. But I have read all kinds of great reviews on "another" bass boat owners site. Not one person has regretted installing one. If they had a sturdy cover I might consider it.

I had one installed this past season and I love it. I didnt want to cut a hole that size myself so I took it to my boat guy and he installed it for $120.
IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

You can make yourself a sturdy cover. Get you some 1/8 inch aluminum, probably diamond plate, so it will be a non slid surface. Then, cut it out, so that it is 2 inches, longer, and 2 inches wider than the recessed pedal. So, when you cover the hole, it will hold on 1 inch all the way around. Now, get you some 1 inch angle, could probably be as thin as 1/16 inch or so, and put it underneath, 1 inch in from the sides, so it provides a lip. Now, drop that in your hole, and the lip will keep it solid and snug, and you will have a nice, slip in removable cover. The lip could be riveted on, or you could put flat head stainless machine screws in.

Does this make any sense?

you would still have the cable sticking out from under the plate.
I have had the recessed pedal on my boat for 4 years it isn't the tripping hazard that you would think it is..
Wayne

redbug said:
you would still have the cable sticking out from under the plate.
I have had the recessed pedal on my boat for 4 years it isn't the tripping hazard that you would think it is..
Wayne
He had mentioned it being a tripping hazard when the trolling motor is off the boat. Without the trolling motor, you won't have the cable either.

I know this is way old, but i'm gonna bring it back.

I'm in the mood for some kind of DIY project for my boat, and i'm pondering on looking into doing this to my boat. Although I don't want to spend the $100+ bucks for one of the aftermarket trays. Just wondering if any of you guys might have any ideas on some way to make my own recess, but still have a nice clean finished look to the "hole". I'm open to suggestions.

bubba - look through bassboy1's mod of his 1542 yazoo.... he made one out of aluminum and it is sweet

russ010 said:
bubba - look through bassboy1's mod of his 1542 yazoo.... he made one out of aluminum and it is sweet

Yeah, But his was made into the deck, I need something I can drop in and attach as a seperate piece. Not to mention I won't have enough carpet to go all the way in it and carpet the inside. :-k

I though his was a drop in... maybe I'm thinking about his anchor box that's right in front of the trolling motor

caver101 said:
Whats the cheapest source for these "trays". I would like one!

haven't found that yet... walmart.com still has them for like $130

I'm pretty sure you can do it out of aluminum... atleast I'm going to try it

Thanks Russ. When I talk to a buddy of mine about building some aluminum float pods I will ask him about welding up a recessed tm foot control too. I will let you know what he says it would cost.

These are about the cheapest ones i've found....

https://www.troll-eze.com/

I just checked out his anchor compartment you were talking about Russ, I think something like that could work! The only thing I am wondering about is that the front and rear of my tray is gonna be angled...but I think I can work something out with that(as far as making the trim look neat). Basically got in mind to rivit the bottom section together, then rivet some trim pieces(angle stock) around the edges. Then probably coat it with etching primer, then paint it either black, or to match my carpet.

I am going to mimic my dimensions from this tray, maybe downsizing it abit so there isn't a ton of extra space around the pedal....

https://www.troll-eze.com/pics/dimensions.gif

Now I just gotta find me a piece of aluminum cheap to use, and find some angle stock that would work for my trim. :-k

you can do the tm mount like he did his anchor mount... just use aluminum angle (found at home depot or lowes) and you can actually use nuts/bolts to put them together, then lay your aluminum inside the mock design made by the angle

Latest posts