Fixing a paint scratch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerville

Reaction score
I might sound really obsessive but I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to fix a couple of bad paint scratches on my boat. I just woke her up after being stored for the winter and had forgotten about these scratches on one side. Happened because of a bumper rub during a bad storm while being docked. She is a new boat thus the reason I would like to keep her pretty just for a little while longer. :oops:

Before we can really help, need a little more info:

1 - what kind of boat? glass or aluminium
2 - what kind of paint? flat or gloss

If it's an aluminum boat, one thing to think about is that scratches are what these boats are designed for... it's kinda like battle scars - they show how hard you fight to get what you want!

Hey Russ,

The boat is aluminum and it is a flat paint that is used. I agree about "most" of the battle scars however, these marks are well above the waterline. Do you think auto grade touch up paint would suffice?

Hey Lunker, auto paint may not match up to what you have.Try contacting the manufacturer for the right paint.The wrong shade could make it look worse than doing nothing.I'm with Russ on this one,battle scars baby.
Steve

Thanks S&MFish,

Already tried contacting Smokercraft but they do not sell touch up paint. Weird huh. Anyways, you may be right, what is a war without a few scars.

just wait a little while until all of your boat is in need of a paint job... then you can do it all the same color and not have to worry about color matching.

I very seriously doubt touch-up paint would look right... very seldom does it look right on vehicles - that is something that usually stands out to me when I look at cars... Besides, no one notices the blemishes but you, and if I saw it I would think that you had went deep into "no man's land" to catch something

Latest posts