Newbie Jon Boat Capt.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiverDog357

Reaction score
I have been floating the Yough River since I was a little kid in a canoe, and I'm new to the world of the Jon Boat. I bought a Tracker 1436 last year, and got a trailer with it too. My dad and I never had a boat with a trailer so I'm in the dark about the launching process. One of my questions is what is the proper way to launch your boat from the trailer. I am usually by myself, so what I do is back down the ramp to the water, then take my anchor which is tied to the front handle and set it on the ground. I then back the boat out into the water and hope that it floats off b4 I run over the rope or run out of rope. A few problems I've found doing this so far is 1. There was a heavy wind one day and the darn thing floated about 15' from the ramp and up against the shore right in front of an old fellas poles. He was very nice, and just laughed at me but I apologized and felt like a real idiot. 2. I run over the rope with my truck tire or get it stuck under the trailer then I cant pull it to shore until I pull the truck out. Or it gets tangle up on the trailer somewhere. Sorry such a dumb question, but I gotta learn somewhere. With the canoes I never paid any attention cause I just carried the thing down and threw it in. Now that I'm trying to learn it seems everytime I see someone launching they have a buddy with them that gets in the boat. Also what is the best way to load it too. So far for me I just pull the boat up on the ramp, back the trailer beside it and just lift the front up over the fender and winch it the rest of the way. This has worked good for now, however I'm putting in some plywood and I just had back surgery so I cant be lifting a whole lot right now. Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it.

I unload my boat by myself as well... I leave it hooked up and put the back end of the boat in the water. Then I have a 15' rope attached to the front handle, and I just push the boat off into the water, then pull it back up on the bank or over to the dock.

Another thing you can do is attach a 15' rope to the front of your boat, then tie that off to the trailer. Then back your boat down and into the water, as you see it come off, ease up a little and then untie your rope from the trailer and beach it.

You'll get the hang of it - believe me... It was a learning experience for me too!

As far as loading it goes...
Back the trailer til half of the bunks are in the water. Then push your boat out and steer it onto the bunks with the rope... you should already have about 5-10' of your winch cable out so that you can grab it with that and winch it in.

I have seen one guy actually pull his boat up on the ramp, back down right at it with the trailer, then winch it up from there. His rear bunks swivel up and down and they keep the whole boat off the concrete ramp as soon as he starts winching.

I assume you have a motor/trolling motor? Load everything in the parking lot before you back down. Unstrap all but the bow stop, and make sure the plug is in. Then, back in. Push the boat off, and with a line, pull it over to the shore. Pull your trailer out, park out of the way, and go fishing. For pulling out, put the trailer in the water, get in the boat, and drive it onto the trailer. Hook your bow line, and pull away.

If you are in an area where the ramp is rarely used, and having your boat in the middle doesn't hurt anything, put a spring clip or caribeaner on the end of your bow line (for quick removal from the trailer frame), and make your bow line just long enough to reach from the bow, to the back trailer crossbar. Hook it up, and back in, tap the breaks, and the boat floats off. Then, pull forward until the boat is at the shore. If you don't value your paint, pull it slightly onto the shore, so it doesn't drift off, or if you do, stop just short of the shore, then unhook your line, and drop the anchor.

bassboy1 said:
I assume you have a motor/trolling motor? Load everything in the parking lot before you back down. Unstrap all but the bow stop, and make sure the plug is in. Then, back in. Push the boat off, and with a line, pull it over to the shore. Pull your trailer out, park out of the way, and go fishing. For pulling out, put the trailer in the water, get in the boat, and drive it onto the trailer. Hook your bow line, and pull away.

If you are in an area where the ramp is rarely used, and having your boat in the middle doesn't hurt anything, put a spring clip or caribeaner on the end of your bow line (for quick removal from the trailer frame), and make your bow line just long enough to reach from the bow, to the back trailer crossbar. Hook it up, and back in, tap the breaks, and the boat floats off. Then, pull forward until the boat is at the shore. If you don't value your paint, pull it slightly onto the shore, so it doesn't drift off, or if you do, stop just short of the shore, then unhook your line, and drop the anchor.
Well, looks like Russ010 beat me to it with the same info. Great minds think alike. Of course, I am an advocate of loading under power, whereas he line loads, but each to his own. I am not sure I would want to load under power with his trailer setup.

last time I tried to drive my boat on the trailer, I could get it up on the bunks, but as soon as I bent over to grab the strap, I would slide right back down.

Unless you have slick bunks like mine - you won't have that problem. If you have no idea what I'm talking about - these are the bunks I have (https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/catalog3.html)

Thanks for all the quick replies. From your advice I'm halfway there. I do like the idea of attaching the rope to the trailer so that it pulls the boat in when I pull back out. I think this will def. help the launching. As for loading under power I don't think I'll be able to do it. Where I have been launching the ramp does not drop off quickly. I usually have to back in pretty far just to get the bad boy floating and to load it I would practically have to walk a good ways in the water to get back to the truck. As for loading in the river the only problem I have is the current pushes the back off b/c I dont have side bunks yet. Hopefully I'll get them on within the next few weeks. A buddy said he has some metal, and I already have the 2x4s will just have to get some carpet. I also want to put some trailer guides on the back so I can see the darn thing when backing up without the boat on. I seen someones elses thread where they used pvc, and some metal. This should also help with keeping er lined up when loading. Thanks again guys.

Oh and I'll post some pics within the next few days of my boat.

Ever seen a grown man soaking wet from the waist down, wading up the ramp cussin' like crazy.......................that was me :) . I've had some real "fun" times launching/loading my rig. I used to tie the hand-line to one of the rear cargo bed tie-downs in the bed of my truck, until one day as I was launching the line got caught under the bow winch handle and almost ripped it off when the line went taut with the boat floating offshore. Now I try to launch by pushing the boat off manually and bringing it to shore with the line. I normally drive my boat as far up the trailer as I can using the rear trolling motor, climb over the front deck down to the trailer tougue, and then winch it ther esrt of the way. One thing I've found......................everytime is different [for me] depending on the wind/current. I prefer windless days when launching/loading. 8)

I feel a lot better now about my launching and loading circus shows. I guess I was doing thing half right to begin with. I guess it's not rocket science but there are tricks to everything and now I just need some experience. The worst part about the whole process is me pushing the trailer from left to right the whole way down the ramp cause I dont have trailer guides, and cant see the darn thing. I even have my CDL but you'd never know by watching me...

I just threw some pics up in the post a pic thread. They are from last year when I bought it. I havent taken any since we started the improvements.

I found an old broom stick and drilled a hole in the end of it and then attached it to one of my bunks with a carriage bolt and wing nut. when trying to back up the empty trailer I also couldnt see it. all you do is flip the broom stick up and follow that as you are backing. when it comes time to load the boat, you simply flip it down.

Guide ons will be your biggest friend,when by yourself or even with someone else.I tie to an eyelet truck bed,with the bow line for launching and loading I leave a foot or so of bunk showing,for the boat to grab,hop out on the tongue,crank it up,either go through the window or door to leave.
As far as a circus...your not alone.
On a shallow "launch",where my front tires where in the water a foot and the wind blowing hard(foot,maybe two foot waves) to the stern of the boat,I had my boat(motor)get stuck sideways on the trailer.Had to go climb out the back,across the tongue,hop on the boat,tilt the motor way up,push it off the side(still not "real" wet yet).Then my truck is out in the water(running) and I'm on shore in my boat so I had to push myself(in boat) to the side of my truck,hop in through the window,push the boat to the side....anyways,you get the picture.Wasn't to wet(feet) till I had to load it that day,jumping from hood of truck trying to make close to shore:).

Zum, that certainly beats my loading/launching adventures, lol.

When I do get real wet (crotch deep or more), at least I only have 1.5 miles to drive home wet. We have shallow ramps here also, and where I have the most problems loading my front tires are normally at the water's edge or just in it.

Curious....

I'm not familiar with the wireless technology, but if the range was adequate, be pretty fun to watch someone use their wireless remote trolling motor and drive their boat onto the trailer while standing at the ramp.

Is this possible yet?

Brine said:
Curious....

I'm not familiar with the wireless technology, but if the range was adequate, be pretty fun to watch someone use their wireless remote trolling motor and drive their boat onto the trailer while standing at the ramp.

Is this possible yet?

That would be interesting to see, and I'm sure it's possible. Might be kinda hairy if there were wind/current problems though.

Before I got my rear tm, I used to "drive on" the trailer using the front tm. I'd get a good speed going and lift the front tm out of the water just before getting to the trailer. Took some timing so that the tm didn't hit the rear lower frame of the trailer though. I've found I can drive my rig better from the front using the foot control tm better than I can from the rear using the tiller model.

Waterwings said:
Before I got my rear tm, I used to "drive on" the trailer using the front tm. I'd get a good speed going and lift the front tm out of the water just before getting to the trailer. Took some timing so that the tm didn't hit the rear lower frame of the trailer though. I've found I can drive my rig better from the front using the foot control tm better than I can from the rear using the tiller model.

Alot of the guys in the club do this. They keep one hand on the rope (attached to the trolling motor) and keep the bow mount TM prop just under the water while steering onto the trailer. Looks like it would take some practice, but they sure do make it look easy. Most have a bigfoot switch installed at the front as well to turn on/off the rear motors for extra thrust when they need it.

Waterwings said:
...They keep one hand on the rope (attached to the trolling motor) and keep the bow mount TM prop just under the water while steering onto the trailer...

Same thing I was doing. It can get tricky with some wind or current blowing you sideways. :shock:

Yes, I could see how that could get tricky. Pretty sure the bigfoot switch helped out the all electric guys quite a bit in windy situations. Once the nose was pointed in the right direction, you could use another 100+ pounds of thrust from the rear motors to push you forward quick.

I also have had some "adventures". Anybody else ever forget to put the plug in? :oops: I've attached some 6" wide pieces of 3/4" plywood on the trailer with "U" bolts so I can walk the trailer to grab the boat when loading. Some non slip helps there.

Brine said:
Alot of the guys in the club do this. They keep one hand on the rope (attached to the trolling motor) and keep the bow mount TM prop just under the water while steering onto the trailer. Looks like it would take some practice, but they sure do make it look easy. Most have a bigfoot switch installed at the front as well to turn on/off the rear motors for extra thrust when they need it.
That is my method for electric only retrieve, seeing as I lack a transom mount troller. Works just fine for me, and is really about as easy as they make it look.