Ever used anchor reins on a jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twds

Reaction score
I have a crawdad and a 10 foot jon boat. I have purchased two anchor reins. I am going to try to use them, will keep the rope in place when anchor us up. Just curious if anyone has ever tried them in a jon boat? No sure if they will work like I want and even how I'm going to mount them. Thenking of mounting them on a board so I can clamp the board to the boats, so I can change from one boat to another.

Do you mean an anchor mate? If so, PBW used one on his boat, and I've got one I'm still deciding on whether or not to mount on mine.

They are called anchor reins, the are spring loaded and retrieve and recoil the anchor rope. Think most use them to tie boats off at docks, but has 40ft or rope. Seems like it is going to be an easy way to keep the rope gathered. They are too be mounted, but not sure if I am going to mount them. Not sure how I could mount them on my crawdad, may just keep using the cleats, but the anchor rein to recoil the rope. Not sure I have seen what you mentioned.

You can build the same thing cheaper.Old working trailer winch,the kind that uses cable,rope,and a few pulleys from Northern tool.

How deep will you be anchoring? And will it be in swift water? If you don't need anything heavy duty, and will be in fairly shallow water(30ft or less) you could maybe looking just getting one of those retractable dog leashes. Just attach a cleat to your boat and cleat the rope off at whatever depth you need it. Pull the anchor in by hand, and just retract the line back into the leash. Just an idea.

I like the anchor mate, but use two different boats, need to be versatile and I can't really mount much, because I turn my crawdad upside down and haul it on my pop-up camper. I even thought about the dog leash idea. I found both of my anchor reins on Ebay, still a bet pricey, but not as much as the new ones I have seen. I do use the cleats, but thinkin of a way to mount the anchor reins and don't think it would take much to switch from boat to boat. Even thinking of using a metal plate, drill a hole, mount the achnor rein and use some type of C clamp to mount the plate to the edge of the baot. I use the window weights as anchors, in the process of mounting pvc pipe in each boat to sit the anchors up right in the boat so I don't have to worry about them rolling around and getting mud in the boat. Tried hanging the anchors over the side of the boat, but they bang the boat too much as I move through the water, so thought the pvc pipe ida might just work.

Latest posts