trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Coar

Reaction score
hello all! it's been some time. I would like to but a transom mount electric trolling motor. I have a 14' ryan craft v hull. I have completely modded the interior using plywood and 2x4s. I would like to know what I should buy (what will be enough) I usually fish inland lakes with a buddy and 2 kids. I was thinking Minn Kota endura 34. what about battery? do I need optima? will walmart do? I am on a budget but I don't want to skimp either.please make a recommendation on what will satisfy my needs, also how long can I expect your suggested outfit to run(hours) as this will be the only motor I have.

get the biggest trolling motor you can afford I have a 36 volt 109 lb thrust on my boat and wish i had a bigger motor at times.
A 24 volt motor in the 70lb plus size with 2 size 29 deep cycle batteries will give you plenty of power and last all day on the water..
with 2 kids in the boat you don't want to be caught with a small motor and the wind blowing..
Wayne

Agread with above.Thats alot of weight for one transom mount trolling motor.Any wind at all and it's going to get hard to control.
If you stick to a 12V,get the biggest(Ah) battery as well.I've had no problems with the walmart batteries.I'd be thinking 2 batteries if that is your only means of propulsion,either in parallel or just have another one aboard so you don't have to row.
I've had good luck with a second hand TM(powerdrive),I get all day with one battery on a 16'boat.