Can I scrape rust off a trailer rim and reuse? If not, help.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am VERY new to boating - and this site, so I am glad to be here. Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I have a boat trailer that needs 3 new tires - I am just not sure if it needs new rims. I think it does, but I am wondering, can I scrape off rust, sand, and spray paint with some sort of rustoleum? Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy 3 new rims and 3 new tires?

The picture shows the condition as you can see- it's awful. Please let me know what I should be doing. I also put penetrating oil on them due to the HUGE amount of rust, because i didnt want to strip them when I take them off tomorrow (which I wound up doing to the bunk brackets - but they are ok) - that was ok to do right? As an aside, can I take off the rusty hardware, scrape and spray paint, or do I have to replace with new hardware?

Lastly, I am on a budget, so if I do need replacements for anything/everything, where do I go? I actually called Pepboys, AUtozone, and realized I better come and ask here. I found this place: https://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/results.asp?tcat=All&beadsize=4.80-8 but have no idea what I am looking for. So where is a good place to shop - either online or near Norther New Jersey (near NYC)? My tires say 4.80-8. 5 bolt, 4.5". Please help.

Looking forward to contributing as I do this!

Mike

Edit: Is this what I am looking for: https://www.iboats.com/Carlisle_480_8_Tire_on_Galvanized_Standard_5_Lug_Wheel/dm/cart_id.644238805--session_id.777558776--view_id.84946 ?
or this:
https://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330169_200330169 ?

God, I am so lost, ha.

Attachments

• P1000109.JPG
    P1000109.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,706
  • P3300022 (Custom).JPG
    P3300022 (Custom).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,486
So long as the rust is not in the bead area of the wheel making your tires leak air, sand all of that stuff off and shoot the paint to it. No need to buy new wheels.

Many places carry wheel/tire combos of that size. Tractor Supply, Wal Mart, etc.

Depending on what else you need to replace... hardware stores, NAPA, Wal Mart, etc. You can always find it online as well.

why do you need three? is one the spare? I would clean up the rim on the best of the three and use it for the spare. just keep in mind its just to get you to the tire shop if yo uhave a blowout.

if it is surface rust it can be cleaned up , repainted and used. if it is deeper than surface , like deeper than paint would be then I wouldn't use it .

Quackrstackr said:
So long as the rust is not in the bead area of the wheel making your tires leak air, sand all of that stuff off and shoot the paint to it. No need to buy new wheels.

Many places carry wheel/tire combos of that size. Tractor Supply, Wal Mart, etc.

Depending on what else you need to replace... hardware stores, NAPA, Wal Mart, etc. You can always find it online as well.

Will this do it?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_43196_-1______59206|14341|43196?listingPage=true&Special=false

Phila boat supply on state rd near linden ave has a nice selection of trailer tires if you don't have a tractor supply around

Wayne

Even if there is rust in the bead area you can clean them up and reuse them. I used to work in a tire shop. We get steel rims in all the time that were full of rust, even in the bead area. Hell even aluminum rims had corrosion in the bead area. Throw the rim up on the tire machine, spin it without the tire and hit the bead area with a wire wheel. Cleans up nice and purdy like. Plus they dont leak air. Nothing worse than a customer complaint over leaking tires.

You can even straigthen a bent rim lip with a cresent wrench. Something you would get from a curb shot.

As for inexpensive tires. Get trailer tires. Do not get passenger or truck tires.

check Menards for inexpensive tire/wheel combos. I think I saw the 12" tires for $43 each.