Quick question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaxterra

Reaction score
Ok, my boat is a 1540 sylvan. the middle rib supports that run the width of the boat are cracked. pretty much just in the middle. i guess mabye the original owner must have slammed into one to many waves. i checked the bottom and cant see any signs of a collison. anyways, i went and priced aluminum L braces today from home depot and they seem pretty expensive. Has anyone tried to have there boat welded?? if so, was it expensive. i guess im just trying to go through my options. any info would be great!!

Yes, people have had their boats welded. Find someone local and get a quote. Make sure they have plenty of experience welding aluminum.

Home Depot is not the place to buy aluminum anlge. It's outrageously priced there. Find a local Metal Supplier and you will save some money.

My boat also had cracked ribs, which I couldn't see because they were covered with a spray in bedliner. I took it to a local welder, and they did a pretty good job. The aluminum in my boat is a pretty thin guague, so they actually used angle iron, round bar, and flat bar in various places to give them something to work with. Not the pretiest, but it will be covered up by the floor.

For example, I had a hole or two in the divot of the chines, so they set some angle iron in there and welded that to it. On the ribs, they used a short section of flat bar in places where they were worse. I haven't finished my mod yet, but I think it will hold up.

I go a discounted price from a family friend, but he said his normal rate was $60/hr -- I paid for 3 hours of work (at $40/hr) and they were able to get to everything I asked them to (which was a pretty good bit)
Good Luck!

Thanks guys!! i will call around tomorrow but i'm leaning more towards doing it myself. L braces seem the best choice. all the cracks are in the same place on each rib so whatever works the first time should work on the others. plus if its doesnt work its my fault not someone elses. no excusses i guess. i will try to post some pics. by the way, whats the best route to posting pictures.

flaxterra said:
Thanks guys!! i will call around tomorrow but i'm leaning more towards doing it myself. L braces seem the best choice. all the cracks are in the same place on each rib so whatever works the first time should work on the others. plus if its doesnt work its my fault not someone elses. no excusses i guess. i will try to post some pics. by the way, whats the best route to posting pictures.
photobucket

Latest posts