Question about painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INGrandad

Reaction score
My old Lowe has a fairly decent, although faded, paint on it. I'd like to spruce it up and was wondering if it's acceptable to use a sander to rough up the old paint, clean it off good with a tack cloth and alcohol, and then apply the paint without priming. It's primed and painted now, it wouldn't seem that removal of this would be necessary. Nearly every thread I look at though shows folks taking it back down to, or nearly to, bare metal.

What's your thoughts?

I rough sanded mine, then primed over the paint that was already there...

but you can just sand and dress it like you talked about, but I would put atleast 2-3 coats on it. Wetsand after the first coat and you'll be just fine.

I didn't take mine all the way down to the metal - that was too much work for something I didn't feel was necessary

Thanks, that what I suspected I might be able to do.

Anyone have a recommendation for paint that I can buy locally? i.e. WalMart, Home Depot, etc?

I see a lot of talk about self-etching primers, and I understand that's needed if this were bare metal, but again, I'm painting over primer and paint.

I used actual marine paint... I have seen a boat in person where the guy used Rustoleum metal paint from Home Depot... and it look very sharp. you can put a lot more coats of that stuff on cheaper than you can the marine paint.

What marine paint might you have used, Russ, and my name is Ron by the way, pleasure to meet you and thanks for the replies. I see Rustoleum makes some Marine paints, not sure what the local availability might be of them. Thought I'd do some shopping this afternoon or tomorrow, weather's not fit to go fishing.

I have seen a boat in person where the guy used Rustoleum metal paint from Home Depot
Just regular old Rustoleum, huh?

Yea, he used regular ole' Rustoleum.

I used Pettit Easy Poxy... I got it from Boater's World, but I think they closed all of their stores.

Here are a few paints that you might want to look for - polyurethane is the type of paint

Pettit Easy Poxy
Brigthside Interlux

Thanks again, Russ. I'll take photos as I go, but if it doesn't turn out don't ever expect to see them.

haha.. you gotta post them -.... forum rules :---)

but you should be fine. When you get ready to start, do a search for painting and you'll see the posts we've done about it.

Wet sanding with 300grit sand paper in between each coat of paint will give you the ultimate appearance, just don't forget that

I am also painting mine, after seeing what others have done here and alot of reading from paint manufacturers I decided on a three step process. Since my boat has alot of good paint on it that will just get a good sanding. Other parts of my boat are in rough shape peeling paint and pits will get the wire wheel and sand paper down to bare aluminum, if the original finish on your boat is good sand it a little with 150 just to smooth it out and make sure no peeling.

The bare on mine will get a couple of coats of duplicolor self etch prime comes in a spray can for 4 bucks a can. Then the whole boat is getting a couple coats
of Red Oxide primer from Tractor Supply $9.00 a quart or $29.00 for a gallon. This should give me a good base coat for the new paint. I also am doing mine with the Pettit easypoxy but you could also use the industrial enamels from Tractor Supply, alot cheaper.

russ010 said:
I rough sanded mine, then primed over the paint that was already there...

but you can just sand and dress it like you talked about, but I would put atleast 2-3 coats on it. Wetsand after the first coat and you'll be just fine.

I didn't take mine all the way down to the metal - that was too much work for something I didn't feel was necessary
I second that. Definetly put a couple coats.

INGrandad said:
Where are you guys locating that easypoxy?

Recieved my order last week from Wholesalemarine.com they have it for $26.83 right now a quart and might have free ship on that item. lot's of colors, that's the best price going.

Not sure if you guys have a Menards by you (Home Depot except they have milk for some reason)? I was there looking for some other paint and saw they carry the Rustoleum marine paint there, and not a bad price either. I bought some Marine paint at Boaters World on sale cause they are closing up. But Menards was still cheaper. #-o

Latest posts