What size diameter pop rivets for decking/framing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who pooted?

Reaction score
Guys (and Bassboy),
I've got all my alum. angle and sheet to start manufacturing my deck. I know the bite size I need for my rivets, but not what diameter to use. Most of my framing will be done with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 and 1 x 1 x 1/8. I've got a hand rivet gun (wish I had pneumatic) that will do sizes up to 1" diameter, but that size seems hard to find around here in Arkansas. Would 3/16" be plenty big enough?
Also, when I attach my pedastals to the framing should I use rivets there too or stainless steel nuts and locking nuts. I'd prefer rivets because these will be permanent. I just don't trust that the nuts will hold up with all the vibrations.

Thanks,
Adam

I would bolt the bases with some nyloc locknuts. the 3/16" rivets are perfect . I personally use "oscar" or "molly" rivets as they hold better and have a greater grip range to use on differing thickness materials.

who pooted? said:
Guys (and Bassboy),
I've got all my alum. angle and sheet to start manufacturing my deck. I know the bite size I need for my rivets, but not what diameter to use. Most of my framing will be done with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 and 1 x 1 x 1/8. I've got a hand rivet gun (wish I had pneumatic) that will do sizes up to 1" diameter, but that size seems hard to find around here in Arkansas. Would 3/16" be plenty big enough?
Also, when I attach my pedastals to the framing should I use rivets there too or stainless steel nuts and locking nuts. I'd prefer rivets because these will be permanent. I just don't trust that the nuts will hold up with all the vibrations.

Thanks,
Adam
Yep. 3/16 is good for structure. Use smaller for actually attaching the sheet to the structure, so it has less impact through the carpet. Frequently placed 1/8 inch rivets work excellently for that. Can't feel them through carpet even if you try.

For your bases, I would use 1/4 inch SS bolts, and nyloc nuts, as Macgyver mentioned.

Thanks guys. What is a molly or oscar rivet? On the bases you two suggested ss bolts and nylock nuts. Where would I use these? I have to rivet the angle to the ribs on my boat. I'd be worried about drilling through the ribs and attaching bolts/nuts. I'm afraid with movement the holes through the ribs connecting to the angle would get bigger.
If I get this right I need to:
Use 3/16 pop rivets to attach framing
Use 1/8 pop rivets to attach sheet of alum to deck
And use ss bolts and nylock nuts for the bases- I assume you mean the pedastal bases.

Would the rivets at Home Depot be fine. Bassboy you said the ones at Harbor Freight suck so don't use them. I need to use alum. correct?

Yep, aluminum. Ones from HD work fine. When using the 1/8 ones on the deck, I put them on something like 5 or 6 inch centers. I used the little ones only to not have an impact through carpet, but I later found the carpet covers the 5/32 rivets well too.

THanks guys all the info. is great. I'm getting ready to post the pics of the start of my boat redo.

Latest posts